Our everyday digital experiences are in the midst of a realtime revolution. Whether attending an event in a virtual venue, receiving realtime financial information, or monitoring live car performance data – consumers simply expect realtime digital experiences as standard. Ably provides a suite of APIs to build, extend, and deliver powerful digital experiences in realtime for more than 265 million devices across 80 countries each month, supporting organizations like Toyota, Bloomberg, Hubspot and Split.
Working at Ably means helping to build the infrastructure and technology that will power and shape the future of the internet. The opportunity in front of us is immense. But we can’t rest yet. And we’d like your help. As Ably enters its next stage of growth, we’re looking for talented and curious individuals to help us build and deliver the platform to power synchronized digital experiences in realtime for one billion devices every week by 2024.
What’s it like to work at Ably?
Ably is entering a new phase of growth led by an experienced senior team. You’ll be part of a successful, highly motivated, and extremely collaborative team. We want to work in a company of inclusive people who treat each other well.
Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging at Ably
We believe our differences as individuals is what makes us great. Our people are at the heart of what we do, and we encourage everyone to be their most authentic self at Ably: we see inclusivity and openness as fundamental to creating long-term success as an organization. We encourage applications from all backgrounds regardless of age, disability, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, race, religion, educational background or neurodiversity. Ably has an amazing opportunity ahead of us, and we want anyone to be able to contribute to that opportunity.
In this role
As the Head of Content at Ably, you’ll define and drive a content strategy to deliver leads that convert through the marketing funnel. You’ll grow and develop the content team, empowering them to create and distribute written, video, audio, and interactive content for our various audiences, while also rolling up your own sleeves to contribute personally. You’ll report into our CMO, and will have significant direct influence in defining what content means at Ably going forward.
Day to day, you will:
- Work with key stakeholders from across Marketing, Product (including Developer Relations and Education), and Leadership to develop, socialize, and execute on a harmonized content strategy to support our ambitious growth targets for 2022 and beyond.
- Build on our existing content calendar to ensure we have the right content coverage (topics and type) and cadence for all of our key buyer personas. You’ll execute on the calendar by developing a robust yet agile content creation process that effectively draws on internal subject matter experts when needed, and which allows us to leverage multiple content pieces from a single topic.
- You’ll strike a balance between brand awareness and “enterprise” content to support demand generation and SQL generation. You understand that this isn’t always a perfect balance, and you’ll know when you need to tip the scales more toward one side.
- Take our existing promotion and distribution frameworks and make them even better. This includes ownership of on-page SEO and keyword strategies. Work in partnership with Growth Marketing to promote and distribute all content as effectively as possible, with the ultimate goal of finding the best-performing channels to feed our content into.
- Own all of our organic social media channels, working to rally the company behind the content we promote for maximum effect from our internal collective reach.
- Report on content performance, bringing insights and learning to the wider team. You’ll also deliver recommendations and new ideas on how we need to change our content approach to drive leads and conversion rate increases.
- Recruit and develop a diverse, high-performing content marketing team from writers to videographers to social media specialists.
- Source, manage, and nurture a diverse set of freelance and agency content creators to help us cover a broad spectrum of topics quickly and effectively.
We’d love to hear from you if you have:
- 5+ years of demonstrable experience developing and executing on long-term content strategies that deliver results
- 2+ years of direct people management experience
- Experience delivering content for a broad spectrum of technical and business personas: developers, DevOps, product managers, and engineering leaders
- Comfortable planning and working video content into a content calendar
- Comfortable with data to work towards the numbers that matter, and unafraid to rapidly change direction based on what the data tells you
It would be nice, but not essential if you have:
- Experience at a commercial IaaS / PaaS / Cloud API product
- Experience working with Developer Relations and Developer Education teams to plan and create content for developer personas
- Experience at early to mid-stage venture-backed startups
What’s in it for you?
- A great company culture where every individual is valued and supported
- Share options. We believe that all Ablyans should share in our success and growth
- We’ll support your professional development with a £1000 annual learning budget and up to 10% learning and development time
- We’re remote first, so you can work flexibly in a way that fits your lifestyle. You’re also welcome to pop into our communal office space in Shoreditch, London if you want to collaborate in-person or socialise with the team.
- Fully-paid quarterly summits, where we take a few days to step back as a team and a company, to have some fun together and work on things we might not have time for day-to-day
- Your choice of high quality tech kit to work on
- Home workstation set up budget of £500, plus an annual top-up of £150
- Regular company away days and social events
- Weekly individual drinks and snacks budget
- Private healthcare, 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme and life assurance
- Access to private and confidential coaching with Sanctus
- A monthly wellbeing budget with Juno
- A matching pension contribution of 5%
- Life Assurance and Income Protection with Canada Life
- Financial Coaching with Octopus MoneyCoach
- A Cash Plan with SimplyHealth
- 27 days of paid annual leave plus a day off on your birthday (36 days including bank holidays)
- 10 days of paid sick leave (including mental health days) per year
- Dog friendly office for when you’re in the office!
If you enjoy working as part of a technology company, value open source, and love solving hard problems - then we’d love to hear from you, regardless of whether you fit the job description exactly or not. If in doubt, drop us an email; we’d be more than happy to give you some advice on your application.