HIGH IMPACT OPPORTUNITY AT AI SAFETY SUPPORT
CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
If your dream job is to have a high impact, you love to travel and you are known for creating streamlined systems and procedures, then you might be the perfect fit as Chief Operating Officer for AI Safety Support.
For more details about the role, why it’s high impact, how to tell if you’re a good fit and how to apply please read below.
Deadline: 14 August 2022 11:59PM Pacific
AI SAFETY SUPPORT (AISS)
AISS is a nonprofit with a mission to reduce existential risk from advanced AI by providing support for anyone who wants to contribute to work on the project of AI Safety. We are mainly focusing on helping new and aspiring AI Safety researchers, because supporting this group is a neglected problem.
What we actually do
One-on-one career advice. The main thing we do is to just talk to people one-on-one. You tell us where you are on your journey, and we will tell you what lies ahead of you and advise you on what to do next.
Community building. A community is made of people who know each other. We are making AI Safety more connected, by introducing you to each other, by running events and creating places to meet. We want you to have enough friends, discussion partners and loose acquaintances in the AI Safety space, so that you can thrive.
And various other things. We are a new organization trying things out.
CEO/Founder - JJ Hepburn
JJ has over 10 years of management experience in a range of industries from construction to market research. He has enjoyed being a participant, then organizer of the AI Safety Camp and co-founder of AI Safety Support.
AI Safety Support is a growing organization, and we need a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to be the right-hand person for our CEO. The COO will work to identify processes to scale the AISS organization and create efficiencies, as well as set ambitious and achievable goals for operational excellence. The COO will understand the importance of processes and also recognises the importance of flexibility, adaptability, opportunity, and removing barriers for improvements. Our ideal candidate would have a mix of business and management expertise, plus proficiency with implementing systems, policies, and procedures. This role will entail a lot of travel across the globe including time in Sydney, London and San Francisco. We have our eye open for a COO who has strong leadership skills.
Objectives of this role
- Collaborate with CEO in setting and driving organizational vision and operational strategy
- Translate strategy into actionable steps for growth, implementing organization-wide goal setting, performance management, and operations planning to scale the business effectively
- Oversee company operations and employee productivity, building a highly inclusive culture that ensures team members can thrive and organizational outcomes are met
- Develop actionable business strategies and plans that ensure alignment with short-term and long-term objectives developed in tandem with CEO
- Ensure smooth implementation and execution of projects and events
BENEFITS TO YOU
- Have a huge impact. Working as a COO you act as a multiplier, enabling the CEO to maximize his productivity and dedicate more time working on solving the AI Alignment problem. This role is one of the best ways to have a huge impact in the field with limited technical knowledge AI.
- Meaning. So many jobs feel meaningless. Like you’re just a cog in a much larger machine but as COO, you get to work on the thing you think is most important every day.
- Career capital. Build lots of great career capital, including scaling a startup, lots of energizing interactions the CEO and other Effective Altruists motivated to save the world.
- Work from wherever. You can choose to work in one of the EA hubs like the Bay Area, Boston, London, Berlin and Bahamas, or you can work in your hometown, or you can choose to be fully remote, living in a cheap sunny location like Bali. It’s up to you.
- Travel. You get the opportunity to travel to conferences, retreats and EA hubs for up to 3 months of the year.
YOU’LL BE A GREAT FIT FOR THIS ROLE IF YOU HAVE
- Good attention to detail - You will do well in this role if you are the sort of person who carefully evaluates all relevant considerations and checks their work carefully
- Outstanding organizational skills - You have high levels of conscientiousness and are systematic. You are organized and good at getting things done by the deadline
- Autonomous and proactive - Excels at performing tasks with minimal guidance, and actively looks for improvements to make and tasks to take on without being asked
Start date: As soon as possible
Compensation: Salaries at AISS account for relevant experience. For this role we expect salaries offered to be between $70,000 and $90,000 USD. Please note that these figures are implicitly formed with respect to the cost of living in Sydney, and would be increased in line with the cost of living for those based in more expensive locations. A successful candidate with less prior experience should also expect their salary to increase with time spent in the role, according to this bracket.
Due to the importance of this particular role, however, and higher salaries for similar roles in the private sector, we are open to considering a substantially higher salary range if this would impact the decision of our preferred candidate. Please contact us if uncertainty regarding compensation might prevent you from applying.
Additional benefits associated with the role include health insurance, flexible work hours and 20 days of paid vacation.
Work Location: Remote and willingness to travel
Should you apply?
We are committed to fostering a culture of inclusion, and we encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. We especially encourage applications from underrepresented groups, and are an equal opportunity employer. If you’re uncertain, you should err on the side of applying. Impostor syndrome is rampant in the Effective Altruism Community.
The application deadline is 14 August 2022 11:59PM Pacific;
Fill out the form below to apply. The strongest candidates will be contacted for the second stage test task.