🙂 The world’s first happiness platform
🎁 Our platform sends digital, physical and cause gifts at scale
🤝 Clients include Airbnb, Spotify, Reebok and more
📈 Join our growing team
About the role
Providing our On-Demand & Enterprise products globally presents complex legal challenges. And that’s where you come in: we are looking for an in-house counsel to support the Chief Legal Officer on a wide-range of interesting legal challenges! On any given day, you will support the business teams in contract processes, be a go-to for all things GDPR, dabble in some product counselling, be a corporate law wizard, or partner with external counsel in the US and beyond to triage international legal challenges. As an in-house counsel at &Open, you will experience the fast pace of a scaleup with the opportunity to grow your role within the areas where you thrive best.
What you’ll do
- Be a legal adviser to teams at &Open, including the Sales, Marketing, Customer Success, Logistics and Product teams:
- Lead complex contract negotiations and apply a strategic and commercial lens to ensure that commercial outcomes that are best for business are achieved, while mitigating the business’ exposure to risk. This includes negotiating contracts with our B2B customers as well as our suppliers.
- Give accurate and timely legal advice to business stakeholders on dynamic, cross-jurisdictional areas of law including GDPR, commercial law, corporate law and governance, insurance, supply chain and logistics, and risk and compliance.
- Establish strong and constructive relationships with business stakeholders. This involves working closely and collaboratively with these stakeholders who will be looking to you as their go-to legal adviser.
- Take an active part in the creation of scalable processes to efficiently deal with various legal matters.
- Counsel and educate teams on contract terms, negotiation best practices, commercial implications, and legal risks.
- Drive & collaborate in the development and operationalization of policies, templates and workflows to allow business teams to move quickly while addressing key risks in substantive areas.
- Collaborate in the support of data privacy and other compliance initiatives, including keeping up to date on new and changing laws:
- Help our customer’s privacy teams understand how &Open handles data and other privacy requirements as part of the sales process.
- Collaborate with our product development teams to ensure our products are built with privacy by design principles.
- Support the existing Global Privacy Programme, including responsibility for the development, implementation, and periodic review of privacy-related principles, policies, and procedures.
- Development and facilitation of privacy training covering global privacy practices.
- Assist with corporate matters, HR, IP, and strategic initiatives:
- Advise and assist with the legal aspects related to strategic initiatives, implementation of new business models, new product areas, and investments into &Open.
- Assist with stock option programmes and board matters.
- Assist with trademark & patent applications and maintenance.
- Support the People team with miscellaneous global HR challenges.
- Assist on any other “legal fun” that comes your way!
What you’ll need
- You have a genuine business interest. Knowing the law is essential, but knowing the business deeply is critical to provide relevant, high quality advice. You have an ability to understand the business goal and are able to formulate a legal plan to achieve the goal.
- You are a thorough, diligent, and service-oriented person with an ability to provide practical advice to non-legal team members on a variety of legal and business issues.
- You have highly effective interpersonal skills to distil complicated legal issues into plain English with an understanding that more is not always best.
- You have a strong sense of purpose and a proactive approach to your work. While you will have the support of our Chief Legal Officer and other management stakeholders, you will be expected to be a “self-starter”, proactively driving forward matters with an appropriate level of autonomy.
- You thrive in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment and are a team player with a “no task is too small” attitude.
- You are a qualified solicitor/barrister/attorney (Ireland, UK, U.S) and have 2+ years of relevant experience.
- Experience advising on commercial, privacy, and/or technology issues in a B2B context is preferred.
- Combined experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department is highly desirable
- Experience supporting a sales team is highly desirable.
- Experience in navigating international projects and negotiations.
- You don’t need a privacy background to apply for this role, however an interest in learning privacy law is a great starting point. You will have some external counsel resources available to help achieve your work goals.
All welcome here
We believe diverse teammates, opinions and backgrounds generate a larger global impact and more considerate acts of care. &Open is an equal opportunity employer and we do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.