What do we believe in?
At BeReal, we are building the first social network where people spontaneously share their real life. No filters. No followers. Just friends, sharing with each other. On BeReal, you discover your friends' real lives and get closer to them!
BeReal is a fast-paced environment with ambitious, committed, and caring colleagues. We are a small team of 40 people all around the world. BeReal will be the place for you if you are looking for a place to grow both technically and as an individual.
What will you do?
We are looking for an exceptional Lead Back-End Developer to support a team of 7 to build the technical infrastructure and product that will empower BeReal to scale to 100M+ users.
As a software engineer you will responsible of :
- Be responsible for a team of 7+ back end developers (which will quickly grow to 8+) - quality of delivery, onboarding new team members, focus and priorities and personal development
- Self-starter who wants to get things done, can be relied on, and creates an environment engineers want to work in
- Working on some exciting technical challenges - We have some insane technical challenges because of the nature of the product: spikes of millions of users connecting in a 3 minutes window.
- Help build a strong architecture that can support massive scale as we grow to new users and new countries
- Be able to get down and dirty in the work when needed, as well as ensuring the team are focused on the right work and shipping product in an efficient and cohesive way
- Supporting the team to find great technical solutions and not be afraid to try new things
- Collaborate with product and engineering team to build new features for the app
- Evaluate trade-offs and technical challenges on key components of our backend
- Lead and participate in code and design reviews
- Be able to work autonomously and give your team the same, we believe everyone should have autonomy over their work whilst being a great collaborator with the wider business
- We are a start up, so we work quickly and we want people who are excited by this!
Our stack :
- Infrastructure: GCP, Kubernetes, Pub/Sub, GitHub actions and ArgoCD
- Backend: Node.js (NestJS, Nx)
- Frontend: Swift (iOS), Kotlin (Android)
- Database: PostgreSQL, Redis
What you’ll bring:
- You will have managed a team of 5+ (ideally 10) in a quick moving business (preferably in a full remote team)
- You have significant experience in Node.js (or you have very good knowledge in C++, .net, Java, Go and you want to learn Node.js)
- You will know how to get the best out of a team and be able to think ahead to future challenges whilst ensuring we shipping great work
- Strong experience in designing high-stress software architectures and deploying them with a DevOps mindset on managed services and cloud providers (GCP + AWS)
- Ideally, also experience with Firebase, message brokers (message queues, pub/sub), websockets
- You are a team player and you like challenges
- You are fluent in English (our team is international)
- But most of all you believe in the project, you are motivated and ready to join a challenging and exciting journey
How do we work?
- Full flexibility: full remote, partial or in office as long as you’re available on CEST time.
- Competitive compensation and equity for full time employees (we want you to have ownership in the business)
- Anything that can help you grow in your role or beyond, it's on us
- 100% health coverage for you, and equal parental leave policy
- Generous vacation (everyone needs meaningful time off)
- Pick your work material - whatever supports you to do your best work
Our First Principles:
- Extreme Ownership
We are building a small team from scratch and are determined to build the most trustful social network to connect people together. So if you recognise yourself in this description, please contact us to introduce yourself.
P.S: We are building a diverse team. It's OK if you don't tick all the boxes. If you're talented and highly motivated, we'd still like to hear from you