What do we believe in?
At BeReal, we are building the first social network where people spontaneously share their real life. No filters. No followers. Just friends, sharing with each other. On BeReal, you discover your friends' real lives and get closer to them!
BeReal is a fast-paced environment with ambitious, committed, and caring colleagues. We are a small team of 40+ people all around the world. BeReal will be the place for you if you are looking for a place to grow and be challenged.
What you'll do?
This will be our first ‘in house’ role and we are looking for someone who can take the reigns across a broad spectrum of legal areas as we scale to 100M DAUs and beyond across the globe:
- On any given day, you will be advising, counseling, and providing practical and strategic legal advice to our business leaders - ranging from data privacy, legal protection, specific compliance laws/requirements, IP/Trademark, Trust and Safety, product risk, litigation and everything in between
- You will provide strategic analysis of global legal and business risks, prioritize key areas and drive solutions forward
- Establish high quality, scalable processes and systems to ensure BeReal’s practices are compliant with country/local regulations
- The design, creation, and rollout of key privacy initiatives that deliver best in class privacy practices for BeReal and its users
- Continually improve our legal processes to help us scale globally with a consistent but locally relevant approach to help the company move quickly and thoughtfully
- Partner with our engineering, product management and design to identify and manage legal issues and risks during all stages of our product development lifecycle, monitor updates and advise on legal implications as the product/features evolve
- Work with the People team to ensure employment law/best practices are up to date across a global workforce
- Keep abreast of evolving privacy laws that may impact the company
- Be ready for anything and everything (we are still a scrappy start up) and know how to best support each issue quickly (be it yourself, outside support or relevant experts)
What you'll bring?
- This is a broad role - you will have extensive experience in-house supporting a fast growing company in a relevant consumer focused business
- Juris Doctorate and licensed to practice law
- Minimum 7-10 years’ experience practicing law
- Relevant product, privacy, consumer protection, and regulatory experience (e.g., regarding COPPA, CCPA, GDPR)
- Extensive experience on privacy and trust and safety issues
- You are comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with broad responsibilities. While legal expertise is expected we need someone with a keen business sense, a strong work ethic, and practiced interpersonal discipline
- You have the ability to operate independently, proactively, and cross-functionally with teams across the organization
- You are a self-starter who works well with minimal supervision, but shows excellent judgment about when to look to managers and teammates for guidance, and when and how to communicate with diverse stakeholders
- You will be based in the US, but have extensive experience supporting a global business with users all over the world
How do we work?
Where you’ll be:
- We are a distributed workforce enabling our team to find a work mode that is best for them! We trust our team members to get great work done.
- We have an office based in Paris and if you are in Europe you would be expected to come to the office for a few days each month (it's fun to get to know everyone)
- Where in the world? For this role, we are looking for someone based in the US
- Competitive compensation and equity for full time employees (we want you to have ownership in the business)
- Anything that can help you grow in your role or beyond, it's on us
- health coverage for you, and equal parental leave policy
- 401k matching
- Generous vacation (everyone needs meaningful time off)
- Pick your work material - whatever supports you to do your best work
Our First Principles:
- Extreme Ownership
We are building a small team from scratch and are determined to build the most trustful social network to connect people together. So if you recognize yourself in this description, please contact us to introduce yourself.