Who we are
We simplify wealth creation. Founded in 2014 in Vienna, Austria by Eric Demuth, Paul Klanschek and Christian Trummer, we’re here to help people trust themselves enough to build their financial freedom — for now and the future. Our user-friendly, trade-everything platform empowers both first-time investors and seasoned experts to invest in the cryptocurrencies, crypto indices, stocks*, precious metals and commodities* they want — with any sized budget, 24/7. Our global team works across different cultures and time zones, bringing our products to more than 4 million customers, making us one of Europe’s safest and most secure platforms that powers modern investing.
Headquartered in Austria but operating across Europe, our products are built by fast-moving, talented, “roll-up-your-sleeves-and-make-it-happen” kind of people. It’s these diverse perspectives and innovative minds operating as ONE TEAM that keep Bitpanda at the cutting edge of our industry. So if you’re someone who thinks big, moves fast and wants to make an impact right from day one, then get ready to join our industry-changing team. Let’s go!
As the Principal Engineer, your goal will be to actively contribute to making Bitpanda’s platform scalable, performant, resilient and secure.
You will be a reference to the other members of the engineering team and proactively grow their technical skills within the company. Through guidance, mentorship and hands-on contributions, you’ll engage technical and non-technical stakeholders and elevate our engineering standards and technology in the entire product and engineering organisation.
What you’ll do
- Grow and inspire the Product and Engineering organisation, while providing technical guidance for highly complex initiatives
- Conceive plans and conduct research in relevant problem areas or new technology of considerable scope and complexity.
- As an excellent communicator, you will gather requirements and pave the way for consensus on the creation and adoption of architectural decision records across multiple departments.
- You will lead smaller teams of senior engineers to deliver high impact initiatives crucial for Bitpanda’s business goals and align with the company strategy and explore technologies which can have a positive impact for Bitpanda in the years to come
- Analyze potential business opportunities for their benefits and risks and deduct clear decisions
- Create detailed, comprehensive, and well-structured architectural diagrams and technical documents
What we’re looking for
- Ability to operate effectively and autonomously across multiple teams, and navigate technical ambiguity with only high-level direction.
- You have experience in large scale adoption of reactive systems and are able to break down complex initiatives into smaller iterations that involve other engineering and product teams
- You have advanced knowledge and experience with building reactive micro services leveraging event or message driven architecture for systems with high load.
- You’re proficient with many of the following tools and technologies:
Apache Kafka, SQS, AWS Aurora PostgreSQL, DynamoDB, ElasticCache / Redis, Kubernetes and at least one of the following programming languages: Java/Go/Python/PHP
- You are highly collaborative, focused on building relationships across all departments and be self-driven to deliver on ambiguous projects in spite of incomplete or inaccurate data. An ability and interest in working in a fast-paced and rapidly-changing environment. The ability to easily build relationships with the different players of the tech area, at different levels of the organisation
- Several years of experience with a track record in successful delivery of initiatives in the area of Quality Assurance. Hands-on personality, self-driven, somebody who likes to be in the middle and not sit on the sidelines. Somebody who has the ability to connect with people outside the Engineering Area, at different levels within the organisation
What’s in it for you
- Hybrid-working model with 60-Work From Anywhere days
- Total compensation package including participation in our Bitpanda stock option plan
- Competitive benefits programs and policies shaped by our flexibility-first philosophy
- Exclusive premiums when trading on Bitpanda
- Company-wide and team events — both in-person and virtually!
- Bitpanda swag to keep you living the brand
And, above all, the opportunity to learn and grow as part of Bitpanda’s incredible journey towards being Europe’s future #1 investment platform.
Bitpanda is committed to fostering a fair and equal environment based on trust and mutual respect. We believe that a diverse and inclusive workplace is paramount to our success and we are committed to building a team that represents a wide variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.