BVNK was founded to fill an important gap in the cryptocurrency market. The growth of the crypto market has almost entirely been driven by retail investors and only recently have institutional investors come to the table, however this has led to a huge gap in the market where solutions are designed for small retail investors and large institutions but not the mid-market corporate that wants to take advantage of digital assets.
We’ve built a banking platform based entirely on digital assets, designed specifically for UK and European Corporates, SPVs and high net worth individuals. BVNK allows corporates to send and accept both local and cross border payments, earn high yield on all assets held on the platform, and access crypto markets via our trading platform, OTC desk, and lending desk.
If you’re looking to join a high growth scale-up, defining a new space in a constantly changing industry, BVNK could be a great fit for you. For more information, please visit www.bvnk.com.
About the role:
As the Head of Legal at BVNK, you will be an integral part of the business supporting all teams to ensure the legal integrity of the products and processes. You will be providing support for a wide variety of functions and/or divisions within the BVNK global team. The role involves dealing with a host of commercial agreements/transactions, ad hoc business projects and advising the business on various commercial legal matters. It is expected to further build out the group’s Legal team and dealing with all corporate matters including future investment rounds and M&A activity.
Focus will be to define an appropriate setup of BVNK’s Legal team and to built out processes and procedures- We are looking for an individual with a hands on mentality that is able and willing to review, amend, draft and negotiate a range of commercial contracts, both for customers of and suppliers to the Group and its various business units, as well as provide practical advice to key stakeholders on legal issues as they arise. You will be responsible for setting contracting standards to be followed across the Group, ensuring that the Group's contracts enable compliance with all of the Group's policies and procedures, as well as all relevant licenses and regulations.
The role requires a high level of interaction with individuals across all aspects and levels of the business and a willingness to step in at short notice for conflict resolution and legal oversight.
- Be a strategic partner to the Chief Legal Officer
- Design the organisational setup of the Legal team
- Lead the Legal team
- Draft and negotiate agreements with our customers, partners and suppliers.
- Develop and maintain commercial contract templates.
- Assess and advice on legal risks, propose constructive solutions and challenge business decisions from a legal perspective.
- Providing day-to-day product-specific legal advice to internal stakeholders such as commercial, product, marketing, and compliance teams.
- Developing proactive product-oriented relationships with the above teams to stay ahead of the curve.
- Staying up to date with legislative developments, anticipating legal and commercial risks and advising and assisting the business to prepare for them.
- Coordinate questions from various internal stakeholders, taking the lead on providing globally-approved and consistent responses.
- Managing and coordinating external legal support.
- Develop and ensure compliance with the company’s internal legal contract review process.
- Lead on future investment rounds from a legal perspective
- Work on potential M&A activities of the group
Skills And Experience
- Law Degree (LLB). Strong preference for LLM qualification (ideally in financial/banking field), with excellent academic credentials and professional experience.
- 8+ years of relevant working experience, gained at a top-tier law firm or in-house department.
- Expertise in drafting and negotiating complex contracts. Must at least have experience in dealing with either UK and/or EU contractual matters.
- Basic understanding of data protection (including GDPR) and consumer laws is a plus.
- Negotiation skills and experience.
- Fluency in English.