BVNK was founded to fill an important gap in the cryptocurrency market. The growth of the crypto market has almost entirely been driven by retail investors and only recently have institutional investors come to the table, however this has led to a huge gap in the market where solutions are designed for small retail investors and large institutions but not the mid-market corporate that wants to take advantage of digital assets.
Headquartered in London, BVNK is on a mission to make banking and payments work for crypto - the crypto market has evolved fast, and traditional finance is yet to catch up. Operating a business in both crypto and fiat today is incredibly difficult, so we've built a business account specifically for crypto businesses, focussing on bridging the gap between fiat and digital assets, bringing payments, trading & custody, and banking to one single platform.
We're a team of over 100 customer obsessed, passionate people and are growing fast to continue solving problems for crypto businesses around the world. Over the last two years we've built a culture of growth and agility, with customers at the centre of everything we do, and we believe that our people are our strongest asset. If you enjoy working in a fast paced energetic environment, solving real world problems, BVNK could be a great fit for you. For more information, please visit www.bvnk.com.
About the role:
As the BVNK team works towards offering businesses around the world a frictionless crypto and fiat banking experience, the BVNK Regulatory and Legal team is solving some of the most interesting and challenging regulatory questions around, and we’re looking for a regulatory lawyer to join our growing Regulatory team as a Regulatory Counsel.
As Regulatory Counsel you play an integral part of the BVNK team - supporting teams across the business as we navigate the complex regulatory issues of the payments and crypto arena. In this role you will work to ensure that the Regulatory team meets its ambitious regulatory objectives and that BVNK grows in a manner that complies with the evolving crypto, payments, financial services, AML/CFT, and other regulations that apply to BVNK across multiple jurisdictions.
Reporting to the Head of Regulatory you will oversee and support BVNK’s global expansion of its services, including licensing applications and activities, analysis of relevant laws and regulations that apply or might apply to BVNK’s business and operations, and liaising with and managing relationships with relevant internal teams and external stakeholders.
We are looking for a team player; someone who is adaptable and enjoys solving complex problems in a constantly changing environment. The Regulatory team is a new team, managed by our Head of Regulatory and overseen by BVNK’s Chief Legal, Risk and Compliance Officer. The role may be remote, but regular in person team meetings in our London or Cape Town offices will be required.
As Regulatory Counsel you will:
- Assist with the development and execution of BVNK’s ambitious regulatory strategy; advising on a wide range of regulatory issues and helping the BVNK team expand into new markets across the globe by navigating the local regulatory frameworks.
- Prepare and provide primary support on all licensing and registration applications and approvals in existing and new markets, and supporting the building and maintenance of good working relationships with local regulators.
- Analyse and synthesise relevant laws and regulations against the BVNK business model and new products and features.
- Work with and advise BVNK’s teams on the application of payment, crypto and other regulations, helping them to manage regulatory risk while enabling BVNK to create products and expand internationally in a way that meets Company objectives.
- Continue to scan the horizon for domestic, EU and international regulatory developments, and work proactively with the team to ensure BVNK stays one step ahead.
- Represent BVNK on a variety of topics before external advisors, banking partners, regulators and other external audiences, and advise on our regulatory positions.
- Be a proactive partner and trusted advisor to cross-functional teams.
We are looking for someone who:
- has a law degree or legal qualification and/or proven regulatory compliance track record.
- has a minimum of 3 years’ experience in financial services, payments, fintech or cryptocurrency related business.
- has experience in regulatory compliance across EU/UK, experience with electronic money laws and regulations is preferable.
- has the ability to research and analyse regulation across multiple jurisdictions.
- demonstrates a proactive, time-sensitive, results driven approach in carrying out responsibilities.
- is comfortable working in a fast-paced, evolving and demanding environment, often with competing priorities.
- has the ability to work effectively within a team, cross functionally, as well as independently.
- demonstrable ability to deliver projects on time and in accordance with project milestones.
- adopts a practical and solutions-focused approach to problem solving.
- excellent written and verbal communications in English writing skills.
What would be nice to have is:
- experience with crypto regulations, or at least a strong interest in crypto.
- additional regulatory experience in additional jurisdictions (particularly the US, Asia/Pacific, UAE).
- experience working in a scaleup environment, ideally in a highly regulated business environment.