Cervest is building the world’s first open access AI-powered Climate Intelligence platform.
We’re a certified B-Corp with a vision to democratize access to Climate Intelligence driving a shared responsibility to protect the world’s critical assets — including our greatest shared asset, the planet.
It’s an exciting time to join us. We’ve just raised $30m in Series A investment. Our inaugural product, EarthScan™, will launch in 2021. EarthScan™ enables organizations to de-risk business decisions, meet financial disclosure guidelines, improve resilience, and uncover new opportunities to accelerate low-carbon growth.
We’re backed by leading venture capital firms, including Draper Esprit, Future Positive, Lowercarbon Capital, and Astanor Ventures. We are now building up our team in all areas: sales, marketing, science, engineering, and people operations.
As a company, we are a pro-diversity, highly inclusive organization, committed to bringing together people of all backgrounds and enabling them to succeed. We know that a richly diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner.
Cervest is looking to hire a Head of Data & Applications to manage and grow the current high performing team of engineers responsible for the current set of data pipelines and services. This person will need to work closely with their counterparts in other engineering teams as well as with stakeholders within the organisation, to create an environment of excellence within which the data engineering team will operate. This is a key role at Cervest and an exciting opportunity to join one of Europe’s most exciting, mission-driven startups.
- Leading, scaling and growing engineering teams
- Building a shared understanding of our problem space
- Coaching team members and being responsible for career progression
- Build consensus around your ideas and convey information effectively
- Support engineers in making the best architecture and product decisions
- Shaping, building and adherence to data engineering standard methodologies & principles
- Managing relationships with Product Owners to ensure we have the right skills to deliver
- Experience managing, scaling and mentoring teams
- A leadership philosophy grounded in leading by example and empowering others
- The ability to thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- Experience or education in a numerical field
- A good understanding of Cloud Infrastructure and Implementation patterns
- A solid understanding of the software development lifecycle, best practices and design philosophies
- Significant past hands-on experience of software engineering - building, operating and scaling software in a product-centric, agile environment
- (optional) Experience of productionising complex scientific models
- (optional) Experience in launching and managing overseas or remote engineering teams
- (optional) Experience shipping and managing highly available systems
As a rapidly scaling company on a mission, we are committed to ensuring that we support our team in developing in line with their aspirations and talents as well as continuing to develop our culture in line with our values.
We are a remote first company and are hiring across Europe, the USA and beyond. We are looking for a candidate who is comfortable working in a remote setting and with a diverse team distributed across multiple time zones. This job requires minimum travel for occasional regional or global team retreats only, using more sustainable transport methods (we’ll help with that) so generally within one time zone of the UK.
- 22 days’ holiday a year (plus 8 UK public holidays or local equivalent)
- The company closes between December 24th and January 1st, which gives an extra 3-4 days off each year (on top of your 22 days entitlement)
- Remote first company culture with flexible working hours
- Maternity, paternity, adoption or shared parental leave policies
- Every employee is given a plant of their choice
- £1000 a year learning budget towards personal and professional development
- 10% of your time can be used for projects that help us meet Cervest’s mission outside your day-to-day responsibilities
- £500 stipend to spend on your work from home setup (we’ll cover your laptop and peripherals such as a screen and keyboard - you will be able to choose between a Mac or PC)
- Paid sick leave for physical and mental health with access to Spill
- Virtual team and company activities such as pastry-making classes, mindfulness classes, coffee masterclasses and murder mysteries
- £1500 loan towards a bike through the Cycle to Work Scheme (available for UK employees)