Cervest is building the world’s first open access AI-powered Climate Intelligence platform.
We’re a certified B-Corp with a vision to democratize access to Climate Intelligence driving a shared responsibility to protect the world’s critical assets — including our greatest shared asset, the planet.
It’s an exciting time to join us. We’ve just raised $30m in Series A investment. Our inaugural product, EarthScan™, will launch in 2021. EarthScan™ enables organizations to de-risk business decisions, meet financial disclosure guidelines, improve resilience, and uncover new opportunities to accelerate low-carbon growth.
We’re backed by leading venture capital firms, including Draper Esprit, Future Positive, Lowercarbon Capital, and Astanor Ventures. We are now building up our team in all areas: sales, marketing, science, engineering, and people operations.
As a company, we are a pro-diversity, highly inclusive organization, committed to bringing together people of all backgrounds and enabling them to succeed. We know that a richly diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner.
We're seeking a Staff Engineer for our internal platform, EarthCore. You'll be critical to bringing asset level climate intelligence into the climate security market and to making our AI-first platform successful. You will be working closely with the VP of EarthCore to identify strategic approaches, technology solutions and architectures for building out the EarthCore platform and associated services.
You will join an agile and truly cross-functional team of software, data and infrastructure engineers, data and climate scientists and domain experts in carbon accounting, financial risk and civil engineering to oversee the structural design process of our platform, estimating costs, and performing quality control throughout all stages of implementation.
Your senior voice with deep understanding of systems, geospatial, distributed compute and machine learning will benefit all engineers in the crew and provide guidance during the system design process.
The role offers a unique opportunity to join an early-stage, highly mission-driven team where you’ll have the ability to make a significant impact on our company as well as on climate change awareness across different industries.
As staff engineer you will be responsible for:
- Technical leadership role within EarthCore working closely with the VP of EarthCore to identify strategic approaches, technology solutions and architectures for building out the EarthCore platform and associated services.
- Overseeing the structural design process, estimating costs, and setting and monitoring non-functional requirements including software quality throughout the stages of implementation.
- Developing common reusable frameworks & components, including Open Source contributions, along with end-to-end proof of concepts for the proposed solution as needed.
- Collaborating closely with development teams during project implementation and mentoring junior staff.
- Evaluating existing processes and procedures to identify areas that need optimization.
- Contributing to the larger Data Engineering community at Cervest by providing support during and raising the bar for design reviews.
- Performing quality control and resolving structural design and other issues throughout the implementation stages.
- Scanning the industry for current and emerging technology architecture trends and providing recommendations.
- Representing Cervest at conferences, talks and advocate for adoption of our solutions and principals outside of the organization.
- Extensive knowledge of engineering processes, structural design, and system optimization with a focus on geospatial, distributed, big data platforms as well as machine learning workflows.
- Having worked in various engineering and/or technical roles and in different industries, and hands-on experience with geospatial applications and frameworks.
- Customer-focus mindset.
- Ability to communicate proactively with senior management.
- Ability to collaborate within a diverse and interdisciplinary team and nurture an inclusive team culture.
- Consistently demonstrate the ability to achieve results with minimal direction.
- Great organizational and time management skills.
- Exceptional analytical, strategic thinking, and problem-solving abilities.
- Thought Leader beyond the organisation - for example significant code contribution Open Source projects, articles or tech talks.
- Experience presenting technical content to a large, diverse audience.
As a rapidly scaling company on a mission, we are committed to ensuring that we support our team in developing in line with their aspirations and talents as well as continuing to develop our culture in line with our values.
We are a remote first company and are hiring across Europe, the USA and beyond. We are looking for a candidate who is comfortable working in a remote setting and with a diverse team distributed across multiple time zones. This job requires minimum travel for occasional regional or global team retreats only, using more sustainable transport methods (we’ll help with that) so generally within one time zone of the UK.
- 22 days’ holiday a year (plus 8 UK public holidays or local equivalent)
- The company closes between December 24th and January 1st, which gives an extra 3-4 days off each year (on top of your 22 days entitlement)
- Remote first company culture with flexible working hours
- Maternity, paternity, adoption or shared parental leave policies
- Every employee is given a plant of their choice
- £1000 a year learning budget towards personal and professional development
- 10% of your time can be used for projects that help us meet Cervest’s mission outside your day-to-day responsibilities
- £500 stipend to spend on your work from home setup (we’ll cover your laptop and peripherals such as a screen and keyboard - you will be able to choose between a Mac or PC)
- Paid sick leave for physical and mental health with access to Spill
- Virtual team and company activities such as pastry-making classes, mindfulness classes, coffee masterclasses and murder mysteries
- £1500 loan towards a bike through the Cycle to Work Scheme (available for UK employees)