Cervest is building the world's first open access AI-powered Climate Intelligence platform.
We’re a Certified B Corporation with a vision to build a climate intelligent world — one where everyone is able to use Climate Intelligence to adapt with climate change. By making Climate Intelligence open, democratised and transparent we will power a global Climate Intelligent Network™ that drives a chain reaction of climate intelligent decisions to protect the world’s critical assets, including our greatest asset — the planet.
Using our flagship EarthScanTM product, anyone can discover how current and future climate events such as flooding, droughts, and extreme temperatures will impact their assets. EarthScan helps our customers confidently de-risk decisions, meet financial disclosure needs and improve the resilience of the assets they own, manage or rely on.
As a company, we are a pro-diversity, highly inclusive organization, committed to bringing together people of all backgrounds and enabling them to succeed. We know that a richly diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner.
We're hiring an Engineering Manager to take on 3-5 reports, working in our flagship EarthScan product area. As part of a cross-functional team you'll be exercising a cutting-edge skill set with chances to learn across the stack (e.g. data stores, pipelines, APIs, statistics, geospatial data, interactive visualisations and climate science). The role offers a unique opportunity to join an exciting, early-stage, well-funded, highly mission-driven team where you’ll have the ability to make a significant impact on our company and our users.
Reporting into the Head of Web Engineering, this position's time will be divided between management and individual contribution, and would suit an engineer with management experience or someone wanting to step into management for the first time - you'll be supported as you grow into the role.
- Line management of 3-5 engineers - coaching & mentoring, personal development, helping define goals and clarifying the company objectives, unblocking and helping with challenges
- Contributing to the development of culture within the Web Engineering community
- Building compelling and high-performance climate data visualisations, using libraries such as d3 and visx as well as geospatial data
- Developing performant services and APIs powering the UIs our customers use to access our climate signals
- Managing and delivering stateful data into the client application
- Identifying unified data models by collaborating with scientists and product designers in a cross-functional team
- Ensuring software quality across our products including documentation, testing, monitoring and observability
- Working with senior leaders throughout Cervest to make sure that what we are building is best in class for what we are trying to achieve today as well as 12 months from now
- Deploying services on our Kubernetes clusters
- Experience with Python and HTTP frameworks (e.g, FastAPI, Flask)
- Experience with a variety of data stores (e.g. Elastic, Postgres, Cassandra)
- Experience designing schemas and APIs
- Experience automating quality checks - eg tests, static checks, monitoring metrics and alarms
- Experience of working in an agile environment
- Numerate and comfortable working with statistics
As a rapidly scaling company on a mission, we are committed to ensuring that we support our team in developing in line with their aspirations and talents as well as continuing to develop our culture in line with our values.
We are a remote-first company and are hiring across Europe, the USA and beyond. We are looking for a candidate who is comfortable working in a remote setting and with a diverse team distributed across multiple time zones. This job requires minimum travel for occasional regional or global team retreats only, using more sustainable transport methods (we’ll help with that) so generally within one time zone of the UK.
- 25 days’ holiday a year (plus 8 UK public holidays or local equivalent)
- The company closes between December 24th and January 1st, which typically gives an extra 3 days off each year (on top of your 25 days entitlement)
- Remote first company culture with flexible working hours
- Maternity, paternity, adoption or shared parental leave policies
- Every employee is given a plant of their choice
- £1000 a year learning budget towards personal and professional development
- 10% of your time can be used for projects that help us meet Cervest’s mission outside your day-to-day responsibilities
- £500 stipend to spend on your work from home setup (we’ll cover your laptop and peripherals such as a screen and keyboard - you will be able to choose between a Mac or PC)
- Paid sick leave for physical and mental health with access to Spill
- Virtual team and company activities such as pastry-making classes, mindfulness classes, coffee masterclasses and murder mysteries
- £1500 loan towards a bike through the Cycle to Work Scheme (available for UK employees)