Cervest is building the world's first open access AI-powered Climate Intelligence platform.
We’re a Certified B Corporation with a vision to build a climate intelligent world — one where everyone is able to use Climate Intelligence to adapt with climate change. By making Climate Intelligence open, democratised and transparent we will power a global Climate Intelligent Network™ that drives a chain reaction of climate intelligent decisions to protect the world’s critical assets, including our greatest asset — the planet.
Using our flagship EarthScanTM product, anyone can discover how current and future climate events such as flooding, droughts, and extreme temperatures will impact their assets. EarthScan helps our customers confidently de-risk decisions, meet financial disclosure needs and improve the resilience of the assets they own, manage or rely on.
As a company, we are a pro-diversity, highly inclusive organization, committed to bringing together people of all backgrounds and enabling them to succeed. We know that a richly diverse team will help us achieve our mission sooner.
We're seeking a Data Engineer for our Asset team within our internal platform, EarthCore. You'll be critical to bringing asset level climate intelligence into the climate security market and to making our AI-first platform successful. You will be in charge of the design and build process of our canonical asset data store and associated data pipelines and collaborate with other engineers on the team to build out the code base.
You will join an agile and truly cross-functional team of software, data and infrastructure engineers, data and climate scientists and domain experts in carbon accounting, financial risk and civil engineering to bring our canonical asset data store to life at global scale and populate it using a broad range of input sources, ranging from third party datasets to in house built machine learning models.
You'll also be passionate about designing highly flexible and extendable data models and building robust data pipelines that scale. You will play a crucial role in the cross-functional team, providing technical leadership, support to roadmap planning and feature prioritization,
The role offers a unique opportunity to join an early-stage, highly mission-driven team where you’ll have the ability to make a significant impact on our company as well as on climate change awareness across different industries.
As data engineer you will be responsible for:
- Productionising statistical and ML models - including earth science or commercials risk assessment and aggregation models
- Harmonising data from disparate sources
- Developing ways of monitoring data reliability and quality and tracking provenance
- Work with senior management throughout Cervest to make sure that what we are building is best in class for what we are trying to achieve today as well as 12 months from now
- Size, breakdown and plan work with your team.
- Contribute to cross-team technology initiatives across the engineering community.
- Supporting the delivery of tactical requirements both internal and external as and when they occur.
- Demonstrated ability to design and develop sophisticated, innovative, efficient, and durable solutions to complex technology problems, in particular ingestion data pipelines.
- Autonomous and proactive work style with a getting things done mentality. Willingness to expand your comfort zone by exploring new and/or unfamiliar tasks.
- Ability to collaborate within a diverse and interdisciplinary team and nurture an inclusive team culture
- Proficient understanding of distributed computing principles and hands-on experience with Apache Spark (Pyspark/Scala) or similar technology.
- Knowledge with different cloud optimized data formats such as Parquet, Avro, Protobuf
- Good level of experience / comfort with Cloud Deployment Environments (AWS preferred).
- Significant professional Python experience
As a rapidly scaling company on a mission, we are committed to ensuring that we support our team in developing in line with their aspirations and talents as well as continuing to develop our culture in line with our values.
We are a remote-first company and are hiring across Europe, the USA and beyond. We are looking for a candidate who is comfortable working in a remote setting and with a diverse team distributed across multiple time zones. This job requires minimum travel for occasional regional or global team retreats only, using more sustainable transport methods (we’ll help with that) so generally within one time zone of the UK.
- 25 days’ holiday a year (plus 8 UK public holidays or local equivalent)
- The company closes between December 24th and January 1st, which typically gives an extra 3 days off each year (on top of your 25 days entitlement)
- Remote first company culture with flexible working hours
- Maternity, paternity, adoption or shared parental leave policies
- Every employee is given a plant of their choice
- £1000 a year learning budget towards personal and professional development
- 10% of your time can be used for projects that help us meet Cervest’s mission outside your day-to-day responsibilities
- £500 stipend to spend on your work from home setup (we’ll cover your laptop and peripherals such as a screen and keyboard - you will be able to choose between a Mac or PC)
- Paid sick leave for physical and mental health with access to Spill
- Virtual team and company activities such as pastry-making classes, mindfulness classes, coffee masterclasses and murder mysteries
- £1500 loan towards a bike through the Cycle to Work Scheme (available for UK employees)