Chemaxon is an industry-leading cheminformatics software company helping early-stage drug discovery and chemistry research for more than 20 years. Our clients are top pharmaceutical companies, innovative biotech startups, and leading academic institutions.
We are agile, innovative and friendly, offering compelling opportunities for frequent collaboration and cross-training with teammates and stakeholders.
We operate internationally, with regional teams based in Budapest (HQ), UK, Boston, San Diego and Basel (Switzerland), along with distributors in the Asia Pacific. We are in an exciting time of organizational and business growth, so now is the perfect time to join our team!
About the team
Are you an experienced engineering leader with a passion for driving technical excellence and delivering innovative products? We’re seeking a talented and dynamic Engineering Manager to join our growing team. As an Engineering Manager, you will play a crucial role in shaping the future of our engineering teams, fostering a culture of ownership and accountability, and driving successful delivery of high-quality solutions.
About your responsibilities:
- Technical Planning and Stakeholder Management:
- Build strong relationships with cross-functional teams (product, design, data, compliance) to align on key strategic decisions.
- Ensure technical feasibility checks on the product roadmap and evaluate estimation and scope to ensure predictability.
- Team and Execution:
- Cultivate a culture of ownership and accountability within the team.
- Empower engineers to achieve engineering excellence, remove blockers, and drive progress.
- Foster innovation and improvement at the product, process, and people-to-people levels.
- People Management:
- Create an inclusive environment, seek feedback, and adapt ways of working to enable team members.
- Manage, support, and evaluate engineers' performance, setting high standards for individual and team achievements.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing and ensure team members are set up for success.
- Communicate effectively about company or wider collective changes to the team.
- Raise the visibility of the team’s work in the wider organization and foster a healthy dynamic.
- Communicate team progress against milestones to relevant stakeholders.
Experience, skills, and knowledge you should bring to us
- At least two years of experience in leading software engineering teams.
- Ability to see the big picture - someone who has tackled difficult engineering problems together with a team.
- Understanding business - ideally you have been working in environments where they expected engineers/managers to understand your users/businesses and with that, you have strategic thinking about delivering products.
- Good operational/execution skills.
- Good understanding of software development process, working knowledge of development practices and principles - ideally you have worked as an individual contributor which helped you to understand the SW engineering practices.
- Understanding of agile, ability to work iteratively - we believe in servant-leadership management style empowering others in your team
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills - you have been great at managing peers and stakeholders in your organizations
Bonus skills that will help you hit the ground running
- AWS and SaaS knowledge.
- Hybrid-way of working (8 days/month home office)
- Private health insurance (Medicover)
- Generous annual training budget supporting your professional development (off-site training, international conferences, e-books)
- We work with global Top500 companies (R&D) and leading academic institutions, giving you a chance to gain insights into these dynamically evolving industries.
- Inspiring working environment - leisure and recreation area, playing corner for children, English lessons, yearly user conference with social programs, innovation days
- You will be a valued member of a creative and supportive agile team
- Everyday use of English in a multicultural environment
For some info on Chemaxon, you can check out these videos: