Chemaxon is an industry-leading cheminformatics software company helping early-stage drug discovery and chemistry research for more than 20 years. Our clients are top pharmaceutical companies, innovative biotech startups, and leading academic institutions.
We are agile, innovative and friendly, offering compelling opportunities for frequent collaboration and cross-training with teammates and stakeholders.
We operate internationally, with regional teams based in Budapest (HQ), UK, Boston, San Diego and Basel (Switzerland), along with distributors in the Asia Pacific. We are in an exciting time of organizational and business growth, so now is the perfect time to join our team!
We are looking for a product Director to join our organization and help us in this exciting phase of our company’s development, as we transform our software business into the Cloud. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record working with Cloud-based software applications, including both single- and multi-tenant based SaaS. The candidate will be able to successfully take the company’s product vision, and translate it into a portfolio strategy, mentoring and leading a team of product managers towards the goals. This role will also involve working closely with the Chief Product Officer, acting as a trusted adviser.
About the team
In this role, you will lead a team of Product Managers, and Product Owners. You will need to both ensure that they have all the necessary knowledge, skills and resources to perform their roles effectively and deliver their product objectives on time and to the required specification.. Although our target market is early-stage drug discovery pharmaceutical and biotech companies, domain knowledge is not a prerequisite for this role as you will be working closely with another Product Director who has expertise in this field.
About your responsibilities
- Create the vision and roadmap of your product group
- Support the creation of the product portfolio
- Stay within budget and deliver the expected revenue and profitability of products within your group
- Responsible for the full PLC lifecycle of the products in the group
- Driving efficient product management culture, practices and processes within the group
- Lead problem discovery processes and engage with key accounts to understand their strategic needs
- Build and maintain a data informed product decision culture within the group
- Increase user satisfaction for products within your group
- Be the people manager for all PMs, POs within the product group
- Provide advice and guidance with role-related challenges
- Identify resources that will help direct reports with product and personal development and growth
- Act as a sounding board for ideas and action plans, encourage and support direct reports to try new things and to take risks when appropriate
- Provide feedback to direct reports and manage their performance
- Ensure direct reports’ development goals are aligned with the company/team/product goals and progress is tracked
- Sponsor and drive process improvements based on business requirements
- Drive and support continuous learning and improvement
- Break-ties / make strategic decisions on product related topics within the group
- Help alignment between direct reports and various stakeholders
- Collaborate closely with your peers like the Engineering Director, the UX Director and the other Product Director
- Travel to conferences or client meetings, max for 1-2 weeks on a quarterly basis
Experience, skills and knowledge you should bring to us
- Strong team and performance management, including team development
- Portfolio management and strategy
- Experience in B2B, preferably SaaS
- Excellent presentation and communication skills in English (individual, public and executive level)
- Results orientation
- Customer relationship management
- Collaboration with the other PD and the team
- Stakeholder management (esp. Tech and Business)
- Asking the right questions, want to understand the why
- Data driven mindset
Bonus skills that will help you hit the ground running
- Experience with migrating on prem products to the cloud (SaaS and/or private cloud)
What we offer
- Hybrid-way of working (8 days/month home office) if you are based in Budapest, Hungary. Candidates based outside the country can be considered for a remote working position.
- Private health insurance (Medicover)
- Generous annual training budget supporting your professional development (off-site training, international conferences, e-books)
- We work with global Top500 companies (R&D) and leading academic institutions, giving you a chance to gain insights into these dynamically evolving industries.
- Inspiring working environment - leisure and recreation area, playing corner for children, English lessons, yearly user conference with social programs, innovation days
- You will be a valued member of a creative and supportive agile team
Location: Ideal candidate will be based in Budapest in Hungary. However, we are able to consider candidates from outside Hungary.
For some info on Chemaxon, you can check out these videos: