About the role
We're searching for an enthusiastic and capable climate scientist to lead the quantification of climate change-related risks and physical impacts from present and future extreme weather. You'll be part of Climate X's superstar, interdisciplinary science team, and lead a team of climate scientists. You’ll be responsible for defining our climate science research programme ensuring we do robust and rigorous science; and helping to implement our climate science within our hazard modelling framework. We apply cutting-edge, peer-reviewed science to help prevent the worst impacts of climate change. We combine climate projections, remote sensing observations, and modelling to project the frequency and severity of physical climate risks such as floods, subsidence, storms, etc.
The impact you’ll own
- Lead the development of our climate science work, focusing on developing and adapting novel research methods into extreme weather/climate impacts
- Manage our team of climate scientists enabling them to do great work
- Identification and standardisation of observational and model data required for development
- Testing, validation and benchmarking of the results
- Documentation of climate modelling activity
- Participation in product demos with enterprise-grade clients
What you bring
- A background in physical science, mathematics or stats at a PhD-equivalent level
- Experience managing scientific staff (such as PhD students)
- Previous experience with climate change-related extreme weather or climate attribution-style studies
- Enthusiasm for interdisciplinary research and turning science outputs into actionable information.
- Experience leveraging scientific computing with Python, ideally in a cloud or distributed computing environment
- Ability to explain complex concepts to non-technical audiences
What makes you stand out
- Awareness of emerging climate research trends and technologies
- Understanding of the current climate change space and interest in future trends
- Recognised accomplishments in the world of climate analytics
- 3+ years of post-doctoral or relevant industry experience
Climate X is a purpose-driven climate adaptation data company set to revolutionise how the world manages assets, property, and infrastructure.
We’ve embarked on an exciting project to give our customers meaningful insights into how our changing climate will impact their property. From individuals with one property to businesses with millions of assets, our platform displays risks from potentially damaging severe weather events across multiple climate change scenarios and calculates the cost of that damage to the asset valuation.
Climate X will help customers save millions of pounds, be more resilient to climate change, meet incoming regulatory requirements and make smarter investment decisions.
We work with the UK’s leading climate scientists, AI specialists and financial services professionals.
We advocate diversity with our founders, team, and investors from various backgrounds. We’re not building just a team but a place of innovation where problem-solving and fun coexist to address the most significant challenge our society is facing now.
Applying for this role – if in doubt, do it!
We've tried to make the hiring process as easy and transparent as possible. That's because we want to respect your time and help you succeed if you apply.
If you don't tick every box in the job description or think there are different ways to shine that our job ad doesn't quite capture, it's okay! We encourage you to apply anyway instead of not applying at all!
If there are any adjustments, we can make to help make the process easier for you, for example, if you have a disability or a different way of working that we should be aware of – please let us know, and we'll do our best to help.
If you want to build something that matters to the world and are ready to join our team on this journey, apply now!