@DATAPAO, we are on a mission: to make data work for our customers. And in doing so we are building a one-of-a-kind Data Engineering and Data Science consulting company covering the full data journey - from enablement, through architecture, to implementation.
We are currently looking for a well-versed Senior Data Engineer to work with our EMEA and US customers and help them solve their data engineering, ML and/or ML Ops, and cloud migration puzzles.
"As a Data Engineer at DATAPAO, you will have the unique opportunity to push the boundaries of technology and lead the way in how data transforms the world. We work with customers who want to innovate and who want to change industries and the world. So it never gets boring! Sorting out a complex technical puzzle, setting up a new data architecture from scratch or guiding our customers through adopting the latest technologies is our routine here. Hence, we'd expect you to be more than just a (data) engineer. We'd expect you to breathe and live data, to thrive for knowledge and excellence, and to be keen to build something enduring and impactful for our customers. We'd expect you to be a (data) Paoneer!" (Máté Gulyás, CEO)
What (exactly) will you do?
As a Senior Data Engineer, you are expected to deliver (across industries) on some of our most complex projects - individually or by leading small delivery teams. Although we work for the biggest multinational companies where years-long behemoth projects are the norm, our projects are fast-paced, typically 2 to 4 months long. The majority are delivered using Apache Spark/Databricks on AWS/Azure and require you to directly manage the customer relationship, alone or along with a Project Manager. Additionally, at this seniority level, we expect you to compound your impact across the team and the organization - by mentoring more junior engineers, evaluating the quality of their work, and contributing to hiring best-in-class data engineers.
What does it take to fit the bill?
- Strong consultant mindset & passion for customer experience - you prioritize your work with the customer in mind and you seek to advise (rather than purely execute) your customers on the best-in-class technical solutions;
- Excellent communication & presentation skills - you can adjust your communication style, and articulate complex, technical concepts to all types of audiences
- Solid software engineering foundations - you are a stack-agnostic senior software engineer, have significant experience working on Unix/Linux, and a strong understanding of how Distributed Systems work. Additionally, you are familiar with (and keen to follow) best-in-class software engineering principles;
- Data & Cloud are part of your engineering journey - you played a role in teams that designed and implemented data-intensive applications and you have strong SQL & NoSQL hands-on experience. Exposure to Real-Time Data Processing Systems, Apache Spark, and/or the Big Data ecosystem is an advantage;
- Mentoring skills & strong predisposition to knowledge-sharing - are things that excite you. We consider ourselves a learning organization and believe that these are meaningful tools for one to compound his/her impact across the team and the organization. Thus technical mentoring and/or people management hands-on experience is a big plus;
- You thrive when having to solve problems & take ownership - you solve problems on your own and advise (or coordinate) others on how to do the same. Moreover, you love stepping up as a technical lead or identifying organizational gaps and filling them in - being an organizational process or documentation gap, a customer communication miss-match, or a resource allocation deficiency;
- You are fluent in English and willing to travel (mainly in the EU and normally within a short business trip setup) up to 15% of your time.
What do we offer?
- World-class educational benefits - there’s no shortage of learning opportunities at DATAPAO meaning that you'll get access to Databricks' public and internal courses to learn all the tricks of Distributed Data Processing, MLOps, Apache Spark, Databricks, and Cloud Migration from the best. Additionally, we'll pay for various data & cloud certifications, you'll get dedicated time for learning during work hours, and access to our internal library
- Unlimited PTO days - we don’t care how many days you take off (except if you don't take enough). We only care about getting the work done! Additionally, is up to you how many days you spend in the office but as a mentor, we'd expect you to spend at least some face-to-face time with your mentees weekly
- Private Medical Insurance - we provide a private medical package (Medicover Blue) via Medicover.
- Top-notch working equipment - working comfortably means working well, therefore you will get a MacBook Pro, a Herman Miller office chair, standing desks in the office, and whatever else is needed to give your best.
- The chance to make an impact in a high transparency culture - open feedback and a no politics environment are things we value a lot at DATAPAO. Additionally, you'll get the chance to shape the future of a rapidly growing tech company (we had grown 3X in 2022), to work with cutting-edge technologies, and to help some of the biggest and most innovative companies in the world to sort out their data puzzles.
- A cozy office in the heart of Budapest (close to Oktogon), well-stocked with snacks, drinks, coffee, and beverages. Optional Friday evening beers, movie, and wine-tasting nights with the team are on us also!
For more insights into DATAPAO
- Designing and Implementing a Real-time Data Lake with Dynamically Changing Schema (EN) by Máté Gulyás (2021, Spark AI Summit)
- Amit senki sem mond el egy AI-projektről (HU) by Máté Gulyás (2019, HWSW Mobile! conference)
- Modern adat platformok (HU) by Máté Gulyás (2019, AWSome Day
- Real Time Predictions on the Factory Floor (EN) by Máté Gulyás (2018, Spark Summit EU)
- Productionising Machine Learning models (EN) by Máté Gulyás (2023, Mndwrk Event)
@DATAPAO we are on a mission: to make data work for our customers. And in doing so we cover the complete data and cloud transformation journey from architecture, through engineering, to enablement. We use cutting-edge technologies to help some of the biggest and most innovative companies in the world to solve their data puzzles by implementing lasting data & cloud solutions.
We are delivery partners and the preferred training provider for Databricks, the creators of Apache Spark. Additionally, we are Microsoft Gold Partners in delivering cloud migration and data architecture on Azure. Our delivery partnerships enable us to work in a wide range of industries and with some of the most prominent global companies such as Norsk-Hydro, Johnson&Johnson, Richter, Bayer, Shell, Essity, and Vonage to name just a few.
As a training provider, we deliver onsite and online courses globally for Databricks and on our own. We have been teaching professionals at Apple, Amazon, Uber, Microsoft, T-Mobile, GE, Ericsson, and many more to improve their impact with data.
We’re strong believers in scaling up a team without judgment or prejudice. What we really care about is working with the best people out there, no matter their background. And you should also not worry if you don't tick every single box in the requirements. If you’re passionate about data and learning new things you’ll fit right in, and we'd love to hear back from you.
And when we hear back from you we'd like for you to know that we are committed to your privacy and to keeping your data safe with us. We do not share your data with any third parties (except the ones we use to run our recruitment process) and keep your application for two years unless you ask us otherwise. We use your data solely for recruitment purposes like letting you know about new career opportunities at DATAPAO and/or managing your application.