disguise sits at the heart of the most inspiring live and virtual experiences in the world, leading the market in building a software and hardware solution that designs, sequences and controls the most spectacular productions across film and TV, broadcast, live and corporate events.
Role: Electronics Engineer
Location: UK - London
Reports into: Research Manager
About the role:
disguise is looking for their first Electronics Engineer to work alongside the Research, Hardware, Software and Product teams.
Your role is to create a disguise’s electronic systems in our product portfolio from scratch. This involves designing and building the entire stack through to EOL (End Of Life) qualifications, respins for improvements all the way.
As this is the first position of its kind at disguise, you will need to be able to work autonomously and share your knowledge with the business.
What you will do:
- Be responsible for defining, architecting and building the product from the ground up, ultimately consumed by d3 (main software) or exposed to end-users for control
- Create a PCB design for manufacture from scratch, including PCB BOM (build of material) consolidation
- Liaise with key stakeholders through the product development cycle
- Sourcing the build materials
- Create a prototype from scratch working within constrained system requirements - such as ultra-low-power devices, and signal processing. Working on a timeline and budget.
- Use our electronics test equipment (oscilloscopes, logic analyser, etc.) to evaluate and test the prototype
- Writing technical documentations for the design and prototype
Experience we are looking for:
- Experience creating a prototype from concept to delivery (EITHER during your studies or as a commercial or personal prototype)
- Experience sourcing electronic parts for a PCB design
- Experience with EITHER Altium Designer OR a similar CAD software
- Experience troubleshooting electronic designs
- Experience using test equipment such as oscilloscopes, logic analysers.
Skills, behaviour and values we are looking for:
- You will have clear technical communication, both verbal and written
- You will have excellent attention to detail, when creating a PCB design, and building and testing the prototype
- You will be technically competent and interested in building out a product (ie, what the product should do, what else can make the product great)
- You will be passionate to expand your knowledge
- You will be a self-starter to be able to work in an autonomous environment
- You will have the resilience to keep experimenting
Building on our two-decade legacy in the live event space, where our workflow has powered global concert tours for artists like U2 and Beyoncé, festivals like Coachella and Glastonbury and theatre productions like Frozen and Harry Potter, in the past year we have also led the way in Extended Reality (xR) for remote virtual production.
Our award-winning xR workflow has enabled over 300 productions in the past 12 months, for music artists such as Katy Perry and Billie Eilish, broadcast TV channels like ITV and Eurosport, enterprise businesses like SAP and Siemens, educational institutions like the University of Michigan and notable VFX studios like Framestore and DNEG.
We partner closely with Epic Games, NVIDIA, Netflix and many more to further develop and democratize our virtual production solution and enable teams anywhere to create their best story with the most innovative tools.
With offices in London, LA, Barcelona, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Seoul and Tokyo, we are a fast-growing company that hires bright, creative, talented individuals across the world to push the boundaries of visual experiences and build lasting relationships with our community.
We were delighted to be recognized as one of the Financial Times’ top 1000 fastest growing businesses for 2021. Watch our showreel to see just some of the incredible work of how disguise products are used
- Honest. We are real with ourselves and our clients and share our ideas with openness and transparency.
- Evolutionary. We innovate using our user’s ever-changing needs so our technology remains ahead-of-the-game.
- Fearless. We take the best path, not the easiest, and innovate where it’s right, not where it’s simplest.
- Resilience. We don’t give up until we find the right solution, even if it means going outside our remit.
- Belong. We create an environment where everyone feels like they belong and is empowered to do their best work.
We have a really competitive benefits package as we want to make sure we retain the best talent out there. Our benefits for every perm hire, globally include:
- LTIP scheme - disguise is aiming for $1bn 'unicorn' valuation in 2025, which would mean a payout to ALL employees (representing between 3 month and 2 years worth of salary)
- Salary - reviewed every twelve months w/ equal pay for equal work, and proactive pay increases for growing responsibilities
- Above and beyond gift voucher awards
- Long service rewards (3, 5, 10+ years)
- Gig allowance - £400 (or equivalent currency) on tickets every year
- Flexible hours - some people start work at 10am , and others begin at 7am and finish earlier. Create a pattern that works for your team and for you
- Hybrid working between home and our offices
- Enhance holiday entitlement - 20% above the statutory
- Belonging policies - including (but not limited to) support for Parental, Fertility, Miscarriage, Menopause and Transitioning
- Mental health and wellbeing - subscription to the calm app, weekly desk-yoga and mental health first-aid buddies
- Healthcare cash back plans & employee assistance programmes
- Coaching & mentoring
Don’t disguise your differences.
Innovation comes from everyone. We strive to create a workplace that reflects our diverse audience. We celebrate our people for their full authentic selves, and embrace uniqueness. Inclusion and Equity matter at disguise. We create together and we create everywhere.