DEAL’s Cities & Regions Co-Lead (Global South)
International remote-working role – requires 3 daily working hours of overlap within the 9-5pm United Kingdom (UK) working schedule.
Full time, 35 hours per week
£50,000 UK (adjusted on the basis of regional location to reflect relative costs of living).
Ongoing employment, subject to DEAL’s funding & strategy
Late 2021 to Early 2022
Thank you for your interest in working with DEAL.
Please apply by submitting an application below at your earliest convenience, as we will fill this role as soon as we find the right candidate. We will begin reviewing applications in mid-October and the process will remain “open until filled”.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to prepare extra responses, and if advanced to an interview stage, we will be in touch to make further arrangements via Zoom.
People of all nationalities, race, sex, religion, disability, sexual orientation and identity are welcome at Doughnut Economics Action Lab and we especially encourage applications from people of colour, women, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, and people who have experienced other forms of exclusion or marginalisation.
We are specifically seeking applications from people who bring significant lived and professional experience from city and regional contexts in the so-called Global South (particularly regions such as Africa, the Middle East, Asia and South America). As this is an international remote-working role, collaborating closely with several team members based in the UK, it requires 3 daily working hours of overlap within 9-5pm UK working schedule.
About Doughnut Economics Action Lab
Doughnut Economics Action Lab (DEAL) works with innovative cities and places, businesses, teachers, organisations and community groups worldwide to turn the ideas of Doughnut Economics into irresistible practice.
We explore and demonstrate how to create economies that meet the needs of all people within the means of the living planet, collaborate with others to bring about this transformational change, and so help to realize a regenerative and distributive economic future.
DEAL was founded as a Community Interest Company in July 2019, in response to the interest generated by Kate Raworth’s book Doughnut Economics: seven ways to think like a 21st century economist (Penguin Random House 2017). Over the past three years, practitioners in many fields internationally have started exploring ways to apply the principles of Doughnut Economics in their work. DEAL aims to build synergy out of these diverse initiatives and to make the new economy visible through building critical mass amongst pioneering innovators and early adopters of new economic ideas and action.
DEAL’s team is small and dynamic, works remotely, and is growing fast, thanks to the interest in our work internationally. We grew from 3 to 7 people in early 2020, and again from 7-10 members by September 2021. We are creating 2-3 more roles in 2021/22, including this one.
As a distributed team, working and collaborating across several countries, we meet three times a week for a 30 minute check-in, hold a 1 hour team meeting once a week, and collaborate in small groups as needed, throughout the day, using a mix of Zoom, Slack, Trello, Miro, collaborative documents, and other online tools.
About DEAL’s Cities & Regions Co-Lead (Global South)
In this newly created role, you will be one of DEAL’s two Cities and Regions Co-Leads, together shaping DEAL’s strategic approach. You will be leading DEAL’s engagement with cities, municipalities, councils and other place-based administrations that are interested in putting Doughnut Economics into practice in their own context across the so-called Global South (including regions such as Africa, the Middle East, Asia and South America). You will collaborate closely with your Co-Lead as the first point of contact with such actors and their local partners, working with them to connect with others, and to create and apply tools and methodologies that help to bring about place-based transformation that is regenerative and distributive by design.
You’ll work at the heart of a dynamic organisation with working practices that support self-management in a healthy and collaborative environment.
The goal of this role is to enable municipal administrations and their local partners that are engaging with the core ideas of Doughnut Economics to put these ideas into practice in ways that best bring about transformational change in their contexts.
The role will co-lead DEAL’s engagement with cities and regions, including:
- Being DEAL’s main point of contact with city / local administrations worldwide, responding to new enquiries and maintaining ongoing working relationships across a dynamic and evolving network
- Working closely with DEAL’s Cities & Regions Co-lead, Strategic Lead and Conceptual Lead to continually shape and evolve DEAL’s strategic approach to engaging with cities and settlements
- Working closely with DEAL’s Cities & Regions Co-lead, Conceptual Lead and Data Analysis & Research Lead to co-create new tools and methodologies to support DEAL’s evolving approach to adapting and applying Doughnut Economics thinking in cities and settlements
- Promoting peer-to-peer inspiration between cities and places by helping to document new tools and stories from cities and places that are putting Doughnut Economics into practice and sharing them on DEAL’s platform
- Supporting peer-to-peer learning between cities by building relationships, organising workshops and webinars, and responsively identifying new opportunities for peer-to-peer exchange and inspiration between places
- Presenting DEAL’s work on downscaling the Doughnut, in public events and conferences, DEAL-hosted workshops and webinars, and in a wide range of media interviews
- Building collaborative relationships with city- and place-focused organisations and networks that are interested in engaging with the ideas and tools of Doughnut Economics, and especially with organisations that are working as partners to city / local administrations.
- Working closely and collaboratively with all members of the DEAL Team to build and sustain a strong team culture that embodies our shared vision and values
Key skills and experience
Applicants should bring the following skills and experience to the role, or be confident in their ability to acquire and develop them:
- Understanding of the broad challenges facing cities and regions across the spectrum of Global South contexts, and the opportunities for economic transformation that lies within these
- Understanding of the core concepts of Doughnut Economics and their relevance to, and potential, for cities and places
- Experience of working or collaborating with city, municipal, and/or other regional policymakers and officials in Global South contexts, and an understanding of the diverse challenges and opportunities of policymaking processes
- Outstanding spoken communications skills, especially in making public presentations (such as webinars, conferences and other events)
- Excellent written communication skills, including the ability to structure reports clearly and convey complex concepts simply
- Ability to build strong working relationships and to lead and manage complex engagements with diverse stakeholders
- Willingness to work flexibly and in collaboration with the other Cities & Regions Co-Lead
- Readiness to collaborate closely with team members based in the UK. Since this is an international remote-working role, it requires 3 daily working hours of overlap within 9-5pm Universal Coordinated Time (UTC)
- Ability to work independently and flexibly in a dynamic and distributed organisation, easily adapts to change
- Excellent organisational and project-management skills
- Ability to co-create emergent strategies that are responsive to context and events
Desirable skills and experience:
- Understanding of systems-thinking approaches to transformation
- Understanding of design-thinking approaches to innovation
- Experience of working independently in a distributed (remotely located) team
- Experience in designing and hosting collaborative, creative and insightful workshops.
- Media experience (such as print media interviews, podcasts, television)
- Ability to present and work in languages other than English
- Understanding “conflict” as a generative force (creative tension) in teams
Values and behaviours
- Committed to DEAL’s vision of a world in which people and planet thrive in balance
- Sharing and embodying DEAL’s values (page 12 of DEAL’s Strategy) with a commitment to put them into practice
- Taking responsibility for your own work and continually looking for ways to improve on existing approaches
- Taking pride in enabling others to succeed
- Fostering and enabling innovation and collaboration
- Agility, balancing the need for robust planning within a constantly changing and flexible environment
- Being a team player, bringing a proactive approach
- Committed to reflection and learning, including sharing failures and uncertainties
- Contributing to a culture of equality and demonstrating a commitment to removing all forms of discrimination as a colleague and collaborator
- Acting with integrity and maintaining the highest professional standards at all times
- Understanding that being held, and holding others, accountable is part of healthy working relationships
- Annual Holiday leave entitlement is 38 days per year, including national holidays.
- Parental leave benefits – adjusted to reflect national statutory laws.
- Sick days: 10 days full pay, plus 2 days per year worked to a maximum of 20 days – adjusted to reflect national statutory laws.
- Financial support for equipping you to work as part of a remote team.