Here at the Financial Times, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product and Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Learn more about the FT, including announcements and career opportunities, at aboutus.ft.com.
This is an exciting opportunity for an engineer to join the FT Core group as part of Product & Technology organisation within FT that brings together key digital assets like:
Content and Metadata - enabling content publishing, smart metadata annotations, content discoverability and delivery in various forms and formats.
Membership - powering a seamless subscription/payments/access and the whole newspaper distribution customer journeys
Data Platform - enabling storing, processing and getting insights from readership data
You will have the autonomy to select the tools and technologies you need to build and operate services responsible for FT brand critical capabilities. Someone who is comfortable with the ever changing technical landscape and is keen to contribute to the company’s processes and broader know-how would thrive in this role.
The Content and Metadata team is responsible for the digital content publishing pipelines within Financial Times. Once processed the content is annotated both manually and automatically with smart metadata and delivered in various formats to the consumers. The content annotation mechanism is powered by a comprehensive knowledge graph and artificial intelligence.
This role will be right for you if you are happy to
- Work within a team of engineers in an agile delivery team
- Tackle complex technical challenges that you have never faced before
- Learn new things and adapt quickly to the constantly changing technology landscape
- Write design documents and architectural diagrams from functional specifications
The Tech Stack
We often use these, it's not an exhaustive list but gives you a taste of what our technology stack and tools look like:
- Programming languages: Go, Java & Nodejs
- Various DBs - MongoDB, Neo4j, MySQL
- AWS & Heroku
- Docker, Kubernetes, Helm
- Grafana, Splunk, Pingdom
- Jenkins, CircleCI
The ideal candidate profile is
- Working experience with one of the three programming languages used in the Content & Metadata platform - Go, Java, and Nodejs and at least strong desire to learn Go
- Experience using cloud infrastructure providers such as AWS, Azure or GCP
- Good understanding of the principles and trade-offs of a microservices architecture
- Experience in using third party solutions
- Experience with Relational or NoSQL databases
- Experience with distributed systems
- Experience using Docker
In Return, We Can Offer You
- 25 days annual paid leave
- Annual bonus scheme
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance (after first 6 months)
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave policy
- Food Vouchers
- Multisport Card
- Work-life balance and work from home practice
- Both in house and external training programs
- Your own training dedicated budget (for conferences, courses etc.)
There’s a lot going on at Financial Times! Click to find out more about us on FT.com.
Don't hesitate to send over your CV!
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.