Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. We're a digital-first organisation made up of journalists, technologists, product managers, event planners, strategists, commercial and finance experts, marketing and communications specialists - and much more. Our strength is in our employees.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
Financial Times Live (FT Live) is the conferences and events division of the Financial Times newspaper and its group publications. Our mission is to bring our global executive audiences the very latest in knowledge and opinion, and connect them to one another.
Chaired by senior FT journalists, the 200-plus core events, strategic forums and digital webinars organised by FT Live every year gather pre-eminent public and private sector decision-makers, visionaries and strategists from the world’s most important economies and industries for agenda-setting debates that cover the key issues of our time.
From unique experiences such as the FTWeekend Festival to our senior-level business summits such as the award winning Global Boardroom, FT Live has become one of the FT Group’s most successful and fastest-growing divisions, and is at the forefront of the FT’s accelerated development as an essential, interactive information source across numerous platforms.
FT Specialist is the B2B information division of the FT. Comprising 17 brands it provides niche audience groups with information that helps them make better decisions and operate more effectively. Amongst the industry leading brands with huge scope for growth and development: The Banker, Investor Chronicle, FDI, Fund Fire, Ignites, Pensions Expert.
The Role / Position Overview
FT Live is looking for an individual to join our commercial team to help develop revenues & grow a profitable business franchise within Financial Times Live – (FT Live).
- Originate and grow the sponsorship revenue across our portfolio of events, with a strong focus on new business
- Help cultivate an expanding business within the FT Group.
- Generate new revenue streams working closely with our content and marketing teams
- Work across our entire portfolio of physical and digital event products which includes bespoke events, half and full day conferences, and industry leading awards.
- Be responsible for all stages of the commercial cycle, including: prospect identification, client consultation, proposal creation, contract negotiation and revenue processing.
- Exceed monthly activity levels and targets.
- Prospect, pitch, and close new business in excess of annual targets.
- Build and strategically develop a number of key accounts.
- Analyse the territories in assigned sectors and prioritise new business.
- Create international client relationships at a senior decision maker level.
- Work closely with events delivery team; editorial/content, marketing, design and operations.
- Work on integrated business solutions in collaboration with FT Specialists' advertising, research and content businesses.
- Attend and network at industry events domestically and globally.
Required Skills / Experience
- Proven commercial track record of delivering surpassing sales targets in a b2b environment
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Good level of initiative and self-motivation
- Experience of creating new revenue streams and increasing the value of existing ones
- Proven commercial track record of surpassing targets.
- Commercial awareness and ability to adapt approach based on industry sector and job function.
- Awareness of wider industry segment business issues and ability to converse credibly with clients on a range of national and international business topics.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to use influencing strategies to gain commitment both with peers and colleagues.
- Proficient in MS Office suite and Salesforce (preferred).
- Educated to degree level.
- Experience creating revenue streams within a commercial events business through sponsorship sales.
- A minimum of 2 years’ media/events sales experience or business development and/or account management at a media owner or events company.
- Knowledge of financial markets sector
- Ability to work within a large, dynamic and fast moving international business.
- Proven ability to deliver new business against performance related targets.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt approach based on client’s needs.
- Experience of dealing with senior level management internally and externally.
- Understanding of wider industry segment business issues and ability to converse credibly with clients on a range of national and international business topics.
- Experience of working internationally.
- Task & time management proficiency.
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.