Money-Media, a fast-growing, entrepreneurial subsidiary of The Financial Times, is an online media firm focused on being the premier source of news and intelligence for specialized businesses. Through our extensive suite of products, Money-Media delivers must-have content that helps people do their jobs better and supports the business IQ of hundreds of thousands of readers across the world.
We are looking for an enterprising reporter for a new publication covering the property and casualty insurance market.
This is a terrific opportunity to make a significant contribution to the success of a new publication and benefit as it grows. Money-Media, with the backing of the Financial Times, has ambitious goals for this product and this market. You will have the benefits of working on a start-up publication within a stable and successful company that has proven it knows how to create profitable subscription-based publications within financial services.
P&C Specialist publishes three times a week and provides insurance companies with the news and intelligence they need to grow their businesses. We welcome crisp writing, innovative approaches, visual thinking, and stories that make an impact. We’re an agile digital publication with a finger firmly on the pulse of our readers. As a reporter, you will cover the property and casualty insurance industry and write everything from scoops to analytical trend pieces. You will develop a source list and become a trusted provider of content for our sophisticated readers.
We have a small, collegial, open-minded team, so you will have plenty of opportunity for career growth and taking on more responsibilities.
What will I be responsible for?
- Report and write four or five articles per week and create video content based on interviews.
- Become an expert on the subject matter and write with clarity, insight and depth.
- Establish and maintain close relationships with insurance executives and their companies.
- Help to generate story ideas and shape coverage.
- Travel to industry events and meet with prospects to stay abreast of the latest industry trends.
- Work with other departments to produce videos, graphics etc. as necessary for editorial coverage.
- On occasion, moderate webcasts or panels at events run by Money-Media or the Financial Times’ events group.
What experience/skills do I need to be successful in this role?
- The ideal candidate will have a strong desire to succeed and a proven track record of reporting high-quality content. We seek a person with strong intelligence, high energy, creativity, persistence, and resilience.
- Experience working a beat and knowing how to generate scoops, enterprise story ideas and other content that distinguishes a publication. Data journalism experience is a plus.
- Track record of continuous improvement and initiative and a creative approach to your work.
- Ability to recognize and respond to readers’ needs.
- Knowledge of the financial services industry a plus.
- A high personal standard of excellence and pride in the work you do.
- Curiosity and a desire to learn.
What’s in it for you? FT Culture & Benefits
As an FT employee, you can expect:
Genrous paid time off including vacation, personal days, sick days
Comprehensive health, vision, dental, and life & disability insurance for employees and their families
Competitive 401k and company match, profit sharing, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and commuter benefits
Paid parental leave (maternity & paternity)
Other great perks such as summer Friday’s, volunteer days and in-office events
Employee-led networks which promote and celebrate diversity and inclusion in the workplace by connecting, engaging and empowering individuals across the organization
Here at the FT, we encourage you to bring your whole self to work. We know our most valuable resources are our people, we embrace the unique skills, experiences, and perspectives that each of our employees brings with them -- it’s what helps us build a great product and even better teams.
We welcome all members of the community to apply regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working, medical cover, and enhanced maternity & paternity packages. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
Candidates should be aware that new employees will be required to be vaccinated by their start date, meaning they have received all of the recommended doses for either a one dose or two dose COVID-19 vaccine, and provide proof of vaccination status (e.g. CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card) , which will be kept confidential. We are an equal opportunity employer, and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those who are unable to be vaccinated due to a sincerely-held religious belief or a medical disability where it does not pose an undue hardship on the Company.
At the FT, we know our most valuable resources are our people and we embrace our employees’ unique skills, experiences, and perspectives. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer that seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. We aim to treat all employees in a fair and consistent manner, promote good working relationships to encourage high standards of conduct and performance within a work environment free from harassment, bullying, and discrimination. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help. #LI-SG1