Here at the FT, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product & Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
About the Team
We are looking for an experienced BI Developer to join our Business Intelligence team, within our London office. As the digital business evolves and grows, there is ever more need to provide business intelligence and customer insight to inform and optimise strategic commercial decision-making. We are looking to expand our Business Intelligence team to facilitate this. A greater understanding is required about the behaviour of our digital audience to keep abreast of business strategy, and leverage this knowledge to measure performance, and evaluate the effectiveness of our digital developments and influence the customer’s digital experience.
About the Role
This position is a 12-month fixed term contract for an experienced professional with 2+ years of experience as a Data Engineer or a similar role, confident about working in a fast-paced, agile and innovative BI team. The role is specifically to help us build end-to-end data pipelines delivering robust data sets that empower our stakeholders to self-serve across all areas of the business.
- Work directly with stakeholders, team leader and senior developers to fully shape BI data solutions influencing design, engineering data for deployment and beyond in this area
- Develop high-quality data solutions within Financial Times’ BI layer
- Understand the High-Level Enterprise Data Model Design and translate/refine it into detailed logical/ETL designs, to satisfy a broad range of business data requirements
- Design and implement low maintenance, well-monitored, secure and scalable solutions to customer problems
- Create quality documentation both technical and user-focused to help everyone involved understand the different datasets and pipelines built
- Understand and play an active part in designing the architecture, tooling and release cycle processes used by the BI team
- Contribute to company-wide processes, frameworks and guidelines
- Develop an in-depth understanding of FT’s underlying data, data flow, and data structures.
- Develop a close relationship with our stakeholders and provide operational support
- Experience with gathering business requirements, using industry-standard business intelligence tool(s) to extract data, formulate metrics, and build reports.
- Experience with coding, query development, and visualisation.
- Experience in a Data Engineer/Data Warehouse Development role involving hands-on experience in data warehousing/data technologies/business intelligence within a significantly-sized DW/BI project.
- Strong ability and demonstrable experience in writing complex SQL queries (DDL,DML) and stored procedures
- Experience in developing ETL using the optimal combination of out-of-the-box ETL vendor technologies eg Airflow and/or SQL
- Experience in modern database technologies (AWS/cloud-based/in-memory etc.), scripting languages, big data technologies.
- 25 days of leave, increasing to 30 after two years. We also offer additional flexi-days at 30% pay.
- Pension plan, the company will double your contribution up to 18% total
- Free gym membership via GymPass, or subsidised access to Nuffield Health
- Enhanced maternity & paternity packages
- Other schemes include: childcare vouchers, give as you earn, cycle to work, travel loans, healthcare, dental, life assurance
- Full details of our benefits can be found here.
How we work
We offer a strict 35 hour working week to all staff in our London office. Our hybrid setup means staff are expected to come into the office 2 days a week on average. We operate flexibly and thus this 2 day a week figure should be taken as a general ratio of the time you will spend in the office.
Our office is located across the street from St. Paul's Cathedral and is easily accessible from all corners of London. There are the main train terminals such as Liverpool Street, Moorgate, Blackfriars, City Thameslink or Waterloo all situated within walking distance or there are several tube stations within a few mins walk such as Mansion House (District or Circle line), St. Paul's (Central line), Bank (Central or Waterloo & City line) or Barbican (Central, Hammersmith & City or Metropolitan lines).
The FT are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.