Here at the Financial Times, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product and Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Our Enterprise product group is relatively new, and growing fast, and consists of a portfolio of services to support business (B2B) customers of the FT, ranging from individuals and start-ups to the world’s biggest companies. Our vision for Enterprise includes intuitive dashboards and tools empowering customers to manage licences and access across platforms, with content and experiences personalised to their company, industry and interests, and new tools to support individuals and teams to discover, research and share content. We are also developing new products in data and in education - all part of our mission to be our audience’s partner in information and professional development, from classroom to boardroom.
Technology at the FT
At the FT we believe that empowered, cross-functional product teams can build amazing things, and our focus is on providing the environment, culture and tools to allow them to thrive. As a software engineer, you will work as part of a small product development team focused on rapid iterations with user feedback and data at the heart of everything you do. We value engineers that can work across the stack, and that enjoy collaborating with Product Managers, UX Designers, Data Analysts and other stakeholders to deliver world-class products for the FT.
What are our Enterprise products?
Our Enterprise products portfolio currently consists of three core product teams:
Self-service and Account Management - This team manages all of the features related to business customers’ use of the platform. This will include usage dashboards, our business licence finder, product payments, and access management. This area integrates particularly closely with our Core and Internal Products teams.
Onsite Experience - This team manages all aspects of a business customers’ experience of FT.com and our Apps. This includes the screens and features to allow customers to discover the FT, onboard to their company licence, set up an experience personalised to their role, company and industry needs, and set up teams and communities for sharing and engaging on content.
Services and Tools - This team builds the tools and integrations to ensure our business customers can get the best out of the FT everyday. These include sharing functions (via collaboration tools and external links), tools to allow better interaction with our content and data (such as highlighting, annotation and tagging), and new products that connect our audience to communities of practice and role-specific content.
What are we looking for in our Software Engineers?
Your core skill-set and expertise is web development and you are enthusiastic about contributing to all parts of the process. You should actively want to work in a truly empowered, cross-functional product team - and be motivated by building products that help people analyse, understand, and connect around the most important issues affecting the world today.
Some specific experience and competencies we will look for:
- The desire to develop “gold-standard” web applications
- You are curious about the range of technologies and patterns required to build modern web products and services: from CDNs, networking, cloud infrastructure and databases through to performance tuning and optimisation
- You are familiar with security issues and the importance of mitigating them.
- Have a curious mind
- You are an autonomous self-starter
- You want to work in an environment that explores and validates new products and will help our work to add more value to our enterprise customers.
- Be a team member
- You enjoy the collaboration with Product Managers, UX designers, Data Analysts and User Researchers to improve and polish our products.
- You enjoy learning and sharing your knowledge.
- You understand the importance of diversity and equality in a well functioning team
Here’s a list of things we use a lot. It’s not exhaustive, but gives you a taste of what our stack and tools look like:
- React (JSX); Sass; Next.js
- AWS: IAM; CloudFormation; S3; DynamoDB
- Github; CircleCI
While we don’t expect you to have worked with all of these, it will be a bonus for us if you have worked with some of them.
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits are:
- 25 days annual paid leave
- Annual bonus scheme
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance (after first 6 months)
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave policy
- Food Vouchers
- Multisport Card
- Work-life balance and work from home practice
- Both in house and external training programs
- Your own training dedicated budget (for conferences, courses etc.)
There’s a lot going on at Financial Times! Click to find out more about us on FT.com.
Don't hesitate to send over your CV!
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.