Here at the FT, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product and Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
Product in the FT
Our purpose is to create continued innovation in the FT’s digital products and services. In a time of declining trust in news organisations we pride ourselves on the crucial role we play in showcasing the world leading business news produced by the FT’s journalists, recognised internationally for its authority, integrity and accuracy. We are organised around four pillars [Insert link designed to realise the ambitions we have to meet the needs of the FT’s customers at scale whilst improving and learning.
We have two exciting new roles for Group Product Managers in the FT.com and apps group. As part of the role you will have product responsibility for two of our strategic objectives: Acquisition and Retention or Experience and Maintenance. The roles will directly manage the Product Managers responsible for delivering against these objective areas. These are key leadership roles with significant influence on the overall strategic direction and outcomes of FT.com and our Apps.
What is a group product manager at the FT?
It is a crucial product leadership role with 3 main components:
- Responsibility for the overall strategic direction in your objective area(s), in this case the commercial customer lifecycle areas of customer acquisition and customer retention, whilst helping to shape the overall product strategy for FT.com and apps
- Leadership of the product teams within those areas and line management of their product managers (typically 3 to 6 PMs), providing coaching, support and capability building within the product community
- Working with delivery, design and technical colleagues to help run the FT.com and apps group, removing blockers, maximising the potential of our teams and engaging with stakeholders to improve how we work and deliver
What is FT.com and apps group?
It is responsible for the large majority of the public facing products of the digital FT business. The FT.com web experience, the subscription offerings, the FT.com app and exciting new products coming soon! The team, consisting of product, design, engineering and delivery, is around 100 strong and we are looking to grow substantially over the coming year. The group supports our over 1m subscribers and works closely with editorial and marketing colleagues to meet the needs of those subscribers.
What are the Acquire and Retain objective areas?
We have substantial and exciting growth targets over the coming 4 years, with our excellent content proposition at the heart of our products. To put it simply we want to gain more subscribers, and keep more of those subscribers for longer. At the FT we care about building relationships with our subscribers and are focused on long-term growth over short-term opportunities. Therefore our acquire and retain objectives are all about building and delivering on long-term roadmaps for the commercial customer lifecycle, really understanding the FT.com user base and helping us grow it in a sustainable way consistent with the FT brand and values.
What are the Experience and Maintain objective areas?
At the FT, our world leading content is at the heart of our product proposition, we must successfully demonstrate the breadth of our content in new, innovative and relevant ways to current and future subscribers, whilst ensuring our editorial colleagues are supported effectively in how we deliver that content. Alongside making sure the whole thing is secure, reliable and scalable as we grow! Therefore our experience and maintain objectives are all about building and delivering long-term roadmaps for all that customers experience whilst using our products, really understanding the internal and external user base and moving the quality of our experience to the next level.
Please note there are two roles Lifecycle (Acquire and Retain) and Experience (Experience and Maintain). We will discuss any preferences you have for either role during the recruitment process.
What are we looking for?
You will need to be an experienced Product Manager with a proven track record of leadership in a complex environment. A strong commercial aptitude is useful alongside a deep understanding of customer-centred design and data driven decision making.
Some specific things we will look for:
- A track record of building, iterating and growing successful products at scale
- Leadership and coaching of product managers (or other product roles such as business analysis) across more than one team or topic area, helping them to become better product people
- Real world commercial acumen, ideally developed working closely alongside sales and marketing teams (Customer lifecycle)
- Real experience in balancing the needs of internal and external customers (Customer Experience)
- Comfortable ensuring the security, stability and operability of a large complex product is consistently prioritised and improved (Customer Experience)
- Developed and proven influencing and negotiation skills with a strong ability to work collaboratively across the organisation at senior levels
- Experience creating a vision and goals for a portfolio of outcomes and bringing people with you to deliver on it
- A curious mind that keeps you learning about our customers and what they need, ensuring this is at the centre of how we measure outcomes and value
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.