Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. We're a digital-first organisation made up of journalists, technologists, product managers, event planners, strategists, commercial and finance experts, marketing and communications specialists - and much more. Our strength is in our employees.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Midweight Designer will be part of a team of six designers. The main job function is the hands-on production of visual marketing and communication assets for FT Live’s events, which number several hundred per year. The Midweight Designer will join our lively, enthusiastic and highly-skilled team which works together to ensure that FT Live is successful in maintaining and further developing a strong, sustainable events business across both digital and in-person events.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Development of beautiful and eye catching creative routes for our digital and hybrid (digital / in person) events, within agreed brand guidelines
- Once creative route is agreed, executing it across a range of communication materials. Materials will include:
- Social media graphics, web banners, digital advertisements, websites, HTML emails, video and animation assets, printed and electronic brochures and invitations, press advertisements, physical stage set and at-event banners.
- Delegating tasks to Junior Designers and guiding them on correct application of the brand, and on how to work effectively with the tools and platforms available
- Deliver high-quality work on time, to strict deadlines and within brand guidelines
- Briefing and management of projects through external third-party suppliers, for example printers and video editors
- Manage competing priorities across different projects, understands departmental goals and prioritises and delegates tasks accordingly
- Accept, respond to and action feedback from stakeholders on designs
- Assist the Head of Design and Senior Designer with the development, rollout and communication of design processes, platforms and systems
Key Skills & Experience
The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate that they have the following:
- A recognised design qualification
- A minimum of two years of previous design experience in an organisation of similar standing to the FT
- A portfolio of exceptional design work from commercial projects
- An enthusiasm for typography
- Strong skills in Adobe Creative Cloud packages such as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign
- Skills in animation and video editing packages, such as Adobe Premiere or Adobe After Effects
- A keen eye for detail
- A confident communication style, comfortable presenting ideas to peers and design decisions to stakeholders
- Ability to work in the Mac OSX operating system, in the Google Workspace and the Adobe Creative Cloud suite
- A desire to develop new skills (technical, design and soft skills), and an ability to adjust to using new technologies and platforms rapidly
Desirable skills and experience
Knowledge of the following would be advantageous though full training will be provided:
- A ‘Digital-first’/UX design package such as Figma, Adobe XD or Sketch
(NB: we use Figma)
- Asana or other similar project management software
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.