The Financial Times (FT) is one of the world’s leading business news and information organisations. We are recognised globally for our authority, integrity and accuracy. We provide a broad range of essential services, including news, comment, data and analysis, to the growing audience of internationally-minded business people.
We think the Financial Times is a great place to work: we have a technical stack that is cutting edge - employing cloud-based, microservices architectures and using a wide range of open source and commercial technologies; our product development methodologies are very current - using a data-driven approach, empowering everyone to understand and to delight our customers; our engineers are free to choose the tools they need and are able to influence the development process. Importantly, we ensure staff also have the ability to achieve a good work life balance.
An exciting opportunity for a software engineer intern to join the Product & Technology department, of a growing business and a globally recognised brand. Working with the team in Sofia, or in distributed teams in London and Sofia, you will be part of a team delivering innovative technical solutions as you build and operate world class platforms to grow the Financial Times strategic business models. Your team will have the autonomy, within defined guard rails, to select the tools and technologies needed to build and operate services responsible for FT brand critical capabilities. Someone who is comfortable with the ever changing technical landscape and is keen to contribute to the company’s processes and broader know how would thrive in this role.
In this role you will
- Work within an Agile delivery team to design and implement low maintenance, well monitored, secure and scalable solutions to customer problems
- Participate in the design, build and operational phases of solutions, from cradle to grave, which meet both functional and non-functional KPIs
- Understand and play an active part in designing the architecture, tooling and release cycle processes used by the engineering teams across Product & Technology
- Develop a close relationship with our customers and provide operational support
- Good understanding of the concepts of both Object Oriented or Functional programming
- Some level of familiarity with either Java, Node.js, Go or Python
- An open mind to explore new ideas, and the willingness to learn
- Good understanding of Software Development best practices such as SOLID, TDD, CI/CD and pair programming
- A keen interest in keeping up with the current trends in technology
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment
- Good command of written and spoken English
- Industry certificate in a key platform, tool or domain used within Engineering at the FT
- Knowledgeable about the concept of Cloud Computing
- Understand the principles of Agile Software Development Methodology
Our Benefits Package includes
- 25 days annual paid leave
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance (after first 6 months)
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave policy
- Food Vouchers
- Multisport Card
- Work-life balance and work from home practice
- Both in house and external training programs
- Your own training dedicated budget (for conferences, courses etc.)
The Financial Times Ltd. committed to equality of opportunity. We are determined to create a diverse group at all levels of our Company and we welcome all members of the community we serve to apply for openings with us.