Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. We're a digital-first organisation made up of journalists, technologists, product managers, event planners, strategists, commercial and finance experts, marketing and communications specialists - and much more. Our strength is in our employees.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The FT believes in the value of the office as a place to build a sense of community and to enable effective collaboration and inspire innovation. This is particularly valuable for professionals who are starting out in their careers and who are developing new skills and behaviours by shadowing colleagues at all levels and in all disciplines. We encourage our new employees to maximise this opportunity. However, to enable greater flexibility for staff, the FT has adopted a hybrid working model with time split between the office and home. Each department has adopted “team days” to ensure overlap at certain times of the week.
Reporting to the Senior Commercial Finance Business Partner, the Commercial Finance Analyst (FA) supports the day-to-day financial management of the B2B (Business to Business) Sales division. B2B is an integral part of the fast growing FT Digital Subscriptions business through licensing FT content to organisations around the world, with clients across corporate, finance, government, professional services, education and media sectors. B2B team is in the midst of a period of considerable growth and investment and the Commercial Finance team contributes materially to that success by providing high quality analysis, support and reporting to key stakeholders across the business from Board level insight to team level detail.
Collaborating closely with the Management Accountant in Manila, the Finance Analyst will be responsible for the production of timely and robust financial reporting, analysis, planning and forecasting, and support our partnerships with B2B across sales, marketing, customer success and operations teams.
The successful candidate joins the Commercial Finance team at a time of growth, change and high ambition as we embark on an extensive cross team exercise of Finance transformation and help guide the FT towards its ambitious growth targets.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join a high-profile team that is having a significant impact on decision-making across the business.
What can you expect?
- Deliver on the financial management processes including all weekly, monthly and quarterly results, reporting and analyses.
- Produce robust financial modelling of revenue performance alongside the reporting of a broad suite of non-financial KPIs and metrics.
- Perform productivity analyses and reporting to help drive decisions around margin, resource allocation and appraise headcount investments.
- Manage sales commission payouts in a timely and accurate manner with the support of the Management Accountant.
- Monitor for signs of risk and opportunity, update the rolling forecast model, identify the quantitative impact to performance for business leadership and support business mitigation efforts to stay on track to achieve targets.
- Support the business to build well thought-out, data-driven forecasts, annual budgets, regular reforecasts and a 6-year strategic plan that reflects wider economic factors and the strategy of the business.
- Lead the reconciliation of related Balance Sheet accounts – ensure quality record keeping, take charge of the monthly review and reconciliation and collaborate with Group Finance on governance.
- Contribute to continuous process improvement and input into driving Commercial Finance goals as part of the wider, ongoing, Finance transformation project.
- Support external audits, including collating relevant supporting documents, researching issues found and implementing remediation/correction required.
- Support ad hoc analytics and projects relevant to B2B or Commercial Finance.
- A skilled analyst with an ability to connect financial performance to business drivers/dynamics - advanced level MS Excel or Google Sheets and financial modelling is essential.
- A confident communicator able to share insights and explain identified trends, with reference to analysis and reports, to stakeholders at different levels.
- An inclusive colleague who acknowledges and respects diverse perspectives, establishes communication channels with peers and promotes knowledge-sharing to drive development.
- A collaborative partner who can identify common goals with stakeholders and adapt to different needs and collaboration styles.
- A reliable team member who earns the respect and credibility through consistent deliverables at a high standard.
- An effective organiser who can adjust actions to respond and capitalise on changing circumstances through proactive and regular dialogs with the manager on progress and prioritisation.
- A curious intellectual with a growth mindset that is receptive to change and constructive feedback.
The ideal candidate:
You are a part-qualified member of a professional accountancy body and will have working experience in finance or a closely related discipline.
Your background would ideally include:
- Commercial awareness of, and interest in, the global media/news industry.
- Experience with Google suite, Oracle, Essbase or Insight would be an advantage.
- Experience of data analysis tools, with Looker of particular relevance.
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.