6 month fixed term opportunity. This role has the possibility to be extended or made permanent
Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. We're a digital-first organisation made up of journalists, technologists, product managers, event planners, strategists, commercial and finance experts, marketing and communications specialists - and much more. Our strength is in our employees.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The FT believes in the value of the office as a place to build a sense of community and to enable effective collaboration and inspire innovation. This is particularly valuable for professionals who are starting out in their careers and who are developing new skills and behaviours by shadowing colleagues at all levels and in all disciplines. We encourage our new employees to maximise this opportunity. However, to enable greater flexibility for staff, the FT has adopted a hybrid working model with time split between the office and home. Each department has adopted “team days” to ensure overlap at certain times of the week.
Reporting to the Senior Commercial Finance Manager, the Commercial Finance Business Partner (CFBP) leads the discovery, design and implementation of the Strategic Partnerships financial management including the creation of consolidated financial reporting, performance analysis, planning and forecasting. The Strategic Partnerships team is responsible for identifying new partnership opportunities for the FT Group and leading a dozen existing initiatives such as FT School, Wilshire Indexes and Headspring.
The Strategic Partnerships team is at a time of growth, change and high ambition and the successful candidate will be contributing materially to their success by providing high quality analysis, operational support and reporting to key stakeholders across the business from Board director to partnership leads. This is an exciting opportunity for someone to join a high-profile team that has a significant impact on decision-making across the business.
What can you expect?
- Partner with the business, develop a deep understanding of their strategic direction, key objectives and financial management requirements.
- Collaborate with wider Finance to discover, evaluate and isolate initiative financial results and determine financial allocation principles.
- Design and build the financial management processes including all weekly, monthly and quarterly results, reporting and analyses.
- Identify and introduce a suite of financial and non-financial KPIs to help business leadership monitor performance.
- Provide initiative analysis and reporting to help drive decisions around performance, margin and resource allocation.
- Proactively identify signs of risk and opportunity, articulate the quantitative impact to performance for business leadership and support business mitigation efforts to stay on track to achieve targets.
- Support external audits as point of contact, including collating relevant supporting documents, researching issues found and implementing remediation/correction required.
- An excellent communicator able to lead discussions confidently, communicate a complex idea or issue and deliver well-structured presentations to a variety of audiences, in a clear, concise and engaging manner.
- A reliable partner, good at building relationships with stakeholders at all levels, who seeks dialogue as a means of collaboration.
- An influencer able to persuade and gain buy-in from relevant stakeholders with the use of a range of relevant data/evidence to support positions taken.
- A seasoned analyst with an ability to connect the numbers to complex business dynamics - advanced level MS Excel or Google Sheets and financial modelling is essential.
- An effective organiser who can anticipate and address issues with thoughtful planning and appropriate prioritisation.
- A critical thinker who seeks out diverse perspectives, initiates innovative ideas and promotes knowledge-sharing to drive progress.
The ideal candidate:
You are a qualified / part-qualified member of a professional accountancy body and will have several years’ experience in commercial finance.
Your background would ideally include:
- Commercial awareness of, and interest in, the global media/news industry.
- Experience with Google suite, Oracle or Essbase would be an advantage.
- Experience of data analysis tools, with Tableau and Looker of particular relevance.
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.