Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. We're a digital-first organisation made up of journalists, technologists, product managers, event planners, strategists, commercial and finance experts, marketing and communications specialists - and much more. Our strength is in our employees.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Role / Position Overview
The FT's Legal and Company Secretariat team enjoys a strong reputation within the business and is seen by its internal clients as a genuine business partner. This is an exciting position in a dynamic legal team working for a global and highly respected media organisation.
The Financial Times is recruiting for maternity cover for one of the commercial contracts lawyer roles based at its office in Belfast, Northern Ireland.
The Belfast office is an integral part of the FT’s highly-regarded in-house legal team, and currently comprises four lawyers and our deputy company secretary. The Belfast legal team provides dedicated support to important business divisions within the Financial Times. You will be the key contact person within the legal team for several areas of the business, responsible for understanding their commercial and operational needs, providing those areas of the business with legal advice, and the legal review and negotiation of commercial agreements in those areas. The role will involve daily interactions with your business partners in these areas, including senior management, and colleagues in the sales and compliance teams.
This position is a maternity cover position, ideally with a December/early January start and will run until around February 2024.
- Advising the business on contracts with clients from a wide range of industries and jurisdictions
- Engaging directly in negotiating contract terms with external customers
- Providing highly responsive and commercial advice
- Managing contracts which are usually based on standard templates, but can be subject to extensive negotiation
- Understanding how the templates reflect the FT’s business model and updating templates as required to meet changing business needs and product developments
- You will also play a role in the wider activities of the FT’s in-house legal team, including participation in (and occasional leading of) internal training sessions.
- You will report to the Senior Legal Counsel in the Belfast legal team, and undertake a short, initial handover period with the lawyer whose role you will be covering.
Required Skills / Experience
- At least 2 years PQE as a solicitor qualified in the UK
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong commercial contract drafting skills and legal knowledge, with a good understanding of copyright, licensing, indemnity and liability issues
- Demonstrates commercial awareness that takes strategic objectives into account
- Highly organised, flexible and with the ability to prioritise and keep colleagues and managers informed
- Can build effective relationships within the legal team and wider business
- Previous in-house experience
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.