Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. We're a digital-first organisation made up of journalists, technologists, product managers, event planners, strategists, commercial and finance experts, marketing and communications specialists - and much more. Our strength is in our employees.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Role / Position Overview
Corporate Development is a central part of FT’s growth strategy. Corporate Development & Strategy is a small but high profile function reporting jointly to the CFO and the Director of Strategic Partnerships. We are responsible for sourcing, supporting and executing the FT’s inorganic and centralised growth initiatives, including M&A, Corporate Investing (CVC), Strategic Partnerships and special strategic projects to accelerate growth beyond business as usual.
The FT is formalising its investment strategy and is seeking a Corporate Investing Manager who will work on FT’s corporate venture investing activities. The Corporate Investing Manager will report to the Corporate Development and Strategy Director.
We are seeking an innovative, creative, analytical and strategic thinker who can demonstrate passion about the future of our businesses. The ideal candidate should enjoy solving problems and can take direction but is also proactive and is willing and able to work under their own initiative. The ideal candidate will be personable, collaborative and constructive and will be respectful of the FT corporate culture. The candidate will understand the long term strategic goals of the FT Group and be rigorous and disciplined in their approach to investing. The candidate will work well within a team, be transparent and value clear communication. The role will involve significant exposure to the FT’s leadership team and so an ability to establish credibility in working with senior management and the external investment community is essential.
The Corporate Investing Manager will be responsible for:
- Effectively building industry relationships and networks and make introductions for the FT with VCs, start-ups, incubators, accelerators, investors, entrepreneurs and industry leaders;
- Assisting with the development of FT’s minority investing strategy and processes;
- Identifying, qualifying, analysing and presenting new strategic minority investment opportunities for FT from internal & external sources and creating a pipeline of opportunities;
- Working across different phases of transactions including sourcing, qualification, board reporting, financial modelling, legal review, due diligence and closing activities;
- Coordinating a cross-functional deal team within FT to review investment opportunities as well as serving as a resource for investee companies where relevant;
- Keeping up to date with market developments and creating reports and analyses that help FT senior leadership understand the latest dynamics of the venture ecosystem;
- Defining and monitoring success KPIs with all key stakeholders, and owning the process that measures and evaluates an investment purpose against FT’s strategy;
- Creating and maintaining financial reporting on investee companies to FT’s investment board and shareholder;
- Working alongside the Corporate Development & Strategy Manager to align use of FT resources and assisting with strategic partnerships with investee companies;
- Assisting with ad hoc Corporate Development projects alongside minority investing activities when necessary; and
- Assisting with TNW’s investment ecosystem strategy.
Required Skills / Experience
- Excellent academic background, minimum undergraduate degree with strong results, ideally in economics, law, business, finance or accounting;
- Candidates will have 6+ years relevant experience gained working in an investment bank, M&A advisory firm, VC/ PE/ CVC, corporate law division of a large law firm or the corporate finance division of a large accounting or consulting firm, with particular hands-on demonstrable end to end VC, CVC or PE buy side transaction experience;
- For candidates with background in banking and finance, confident and experienced in financial modelling, valuation analysis and business plan and commercial analysis;
- For candidates with corporate law background, a proven level of numeracy and a solid understanding of financial analysis, a proven ability to expand financial modelling skills, and extensive experience in term sheet and legal negotiations together on buy side VC, CVC or PE transactions;
- Strong network in the technology and venture capital community;
- Excellent judgement, mature personality, and experience working with executives;
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills – able to clearly and concisely explain concepts and investment theses;
- Highly numerate, with proven analytical and business and problem solving skills, with the ability to apply financial analysis to commercial issues;
- Confident working under own initiative as well as being a strong team player;
- Outstanding project management skills;
- Excellent attention to detail, commitment to the job and a strong results-driven work ethic;
- Can-do mentality, pragmatic, and willingness to work for excellent results;
- Team player with proven ability to co-ordinate a team and diverse stakeholders;
- Strategy experience is a plus;
- Interest in and understanding of crypto, NFTs, machine learning, new tech is a plus; and
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint and/or Google Suite.
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working, medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages and subsidised gym memberships. Full details of our benefits can be found on our Careers page.