This role will partner closely with the FT’s Specialist US division, Money-Media, particularly the Managing Director, on the current, medium & long term financial & strategic direction of the business.
The role will support the Senior Commercial Finance Manager (SCFM) with the production of robust financial reporting and planning. The continuous development of long-term strategic partnerships with the commercial heads and their teams, ensuring they’re kept up-to-date with financial reporting, ensuring they’re aware and able to make important decisions amidst a constantly evolving digital landscape.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Process owner for all weekly, monthly and ad-hoc reporting – across multiple P&L’s & regions.
- Manage, lead and deliver the month-end on time, supported by the Manila-based Management Accountant.
- Ownership of the suite of Balance Sheet recs, leading the review and reconciliation process and presenting as necessary to Central Finance and the Auditors.
- Provide consolidated entity data for half year and year end reporting schedules.
- Key liaison for the MM-UK Ltd & Money Media Inc Audit.
Budgeting and Forecasting
- Work with the individual business stakeholders to deliver a data-driven annual budget and quarterly reforecasts, evaluating alternative options and recommending the best course of action.
- Challenge the senior management teams on performance analysis, future targets and forecasts acting as an independent (yet well informed) voice during review meetings and budget discussions.
- Be pro-active in identifying early signs of risk and opportunity and understanding the impact on targets.
- Help build the 5-year strategic plan as well as the KPI’s needed for measuring the return on capital expenditure.
- Build strong working relationships with the commercial teams, ensuring that you develop a deep understanding of their objectives and provide financial and commercial support to help them achieve these.
- Be a good educator and communicator to help management understand finance and how it can help them.
- Develop a strong working knowledge of the commercial trends impacting the business.
- Help drive innovation by assessing new business opportunities through financial modelling of complex business plans.
- Manage pay review, bonus and commission structures for global Money-Media.
Analysis and Continuous Improvement
- Support the SCFM with relevant projects (on-going and upcoming).
- Conduit for all feedback on Finance – the Senior Commercial Finance Manager should be able to understand the problems faced by the business and shape solutions.
- Assist in identifying opportunities to improve business performance.
- Involvement in modelling & tracking financial performance of new products & ideas
Qualifications / Competencies / Skills / Experience
- Qualified CIMA, ACCA or ACA with a strong degree and academic record
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in a commercial finance role with experience of subscription businesses
- A track record of identifying and implementing process and systems changes within the finance remit
- Excellent communications skills
- Highly analytical/logical with an ability to see beyond the numbers and understand complex business relationships
- High degree of Excel and financial modelling experience
- Highly inquisitive and uses initiative to find alternative ways of solving problems
- Confidence with the ability to forge long term commercial partnerships
- Tenacious and resilient, not afraid to challenge
- A great people manager who brings the best out of their team
- Strong organisation and planning skills, combined with great attention to detail
- Experience of Oracle, Essbase and Salesforce
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working, medical cover, and enhanced maternity & paternity packages. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
A reasonable estimate of the salary range for this role is $88,842 to $96,900. To ensure pay fairness, the successful candidate will be offered a salary within the estimated salary range based on a number of considerations including but not limited to: skill set; experience and training; certifications; and other business and organisational needs. The disclosed range estimate is for our NYC office and has not been adjusted for other locations
Candidates should be aware that new employees will be required to be vaccinated by their start date, meaning they have received all of the recommended doses for either a one dose or two dose COVID-19 vaccine, and provide proof of vaccination status (e.g. CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card) , which will be kept confidential. We are an equal opportunity employer, and will provide a reasonable accommodation to those who are unable to be vaccinated due to a sincerely-held religious belief or a medical disability where it does not pose an undue hardship on the Company.
At the FT, we know our most valuable resources are our people and we embrace our employees’ unique skills, experiences, and perspectives. We are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer that seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. We aim to treat all employees in a fair and consistent manner, promote good working relationships to encourage high standards of conduct and performance within a work environment free from harassment, bullying, and discrimination. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.