Company & Department Context
Here at the FT, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product and Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Learn more about the FT, including announcements and career opportunities, at aboutus.ft.com.
We believe the Financial Times is a great place to work! We have a technical stack that is cutting edge - employing cloud-based, microservices architectures on both serverless and container-based deployments and using a wide range of open source and commercial technologies. Our product development methodologies are very data-driven, empowering everyone to understand and to delight our customers. Our engineers are free to choose the tools they need and are able to influence the development process. More importantly, we ensure staff also have the ability to achieve a good work-life balance.
Core Platforms group is part of the FT Product & Technology department and is responsible for bringing together key digital assets like:
- Content & Infrastructure - enabling content publishing, content discoverability, and delivery in various forms and formats
- Metadata - enabling smart metadata annotations and NLP capabilities
- Search and Recommendation - offering end-user search, recommendation, and insights APIs bridging the gap between content and user data
- Print and Digital Subscriptions - powering a seamless subscription/payments and the whole newspaper distribution customer journeys
- Access and Identity - enabling several authorization and authentication mechanisms as well as a powerful access decision engine
- Data Platform - enabling storing, processing, and getting insights from readership data.
The open position is for a leader of the Core Platform within the Data Platform domain. The Data Platform team is currently structured in two main areas. The Core Data layer, which is mainly responsible for providing clean and processed data for reporting and analytics. The Core Platform , which is responsible for providing the platform for storing, processing and accessing the data which can be used by different teams in FT.
Working in a team based in Sofia, you will be responsible for delivering innovative technical solutions, building and operating world-class platforms to grow the Financial Times strategic business models. You will have the autonomy to select the tools and technologies you need to build and operate services responsible for FT brand critical capabilities. Someone who is comfortable with the ever-changing technical landscape and is keen to contribute to the company’s processes and broader know-how would thrive in this role.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
In this role you will:
- Lead all aspects of a data engineering team, including people management and coaching, team organisation and architectural supervision
- Help the team to architect, design, build and maintain reusable capabilities Actively collaborate across teams outside of FT Core (e.g. Data Science, Business Intelligence, Analytics, Data Strategy and Governance, Product Engineering teams), establishing common approaches between distributed teams where beneficial
- Have overall responsibility for the technical approach for further developing and maintaining a Batching pipeline, Streaming pipeline, ML Ops pipeline, Infrastructure management
- Develop and maintain a solid understanding of the FT as a business and use that knowledge to continue to develop the cultural and technical direction of FT Core
- Design and implement secure and scalable solutions with a focus on resilience, observability, and reliability
- Contribute to company-wide processes, frameworks, and guidelines
- Develop a close relationship with our customers and provide operational support
The ideal candidate profile is
- Experience architecting, designing, implementing and operating data pipelines and large-scale data solutions
- Experience in attracting, managing, coaching, growing and supporting talent
- Highly proficient in at least one of the programming languages relevant to the FT: Java,, Python
- Has a track record of delivering well-engineered solutions using current technologies and best practices such as SOLID, TDD, CI/CD, and pair programming
- An ability to help shape the department's culture: balancing the needs of the engineering teams, other programs of work, and the FT business as a whole
- Demonstrating a good understanding of what motivates engineers, the importance of diversity, how to develop talent, and how you have used this knowledge
- Being able to go beyond the immediate technical challenge by taking a step back, understanding the long view, and applying a technical vision
- Being a strong leader with solid organisational, people, and time management skills
- Being able to manage stakeholders with clear, concise communication and the confidence to hold your own with senior management, all plays an important part in the role
- Being able to make fast and informed decisions
- Being an active member of the broader technology community with an understanding and passion of the current leading trends
- Experience working as part of an Agile delivery team, using methodologies like Scrum and Kanban
- Experience working within an environment where operational support and monitoring of code and systems is part of the culture (DevOps)
- Experience of at least one cloud infrastructure, ideally AWS
- Knowledge of MLOps
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits are
- 25 days annual paid leave
- Annual bonus scheme
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Life Insurance (after first 6 months)
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave policy
- Food Vouchers
- Multisport Card
- Work-life balance and work from home practice
- Both in house and external training programs
- Your own training dedicated budget (for conferences, courses etc.)
The Financial Times Ltd. committed to equality of opportunity. We are determined to create a diverse group at all levels of our Company and we welcome all members of the community we serve to apply for openings with us.