Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. We're a digital-first organisation made up of journalists, technologists, product managers, event planners, strategists, commercial and finance experts, marketing and communications specialists - and much more. Our strength is in our employees.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Customer Relationship Team
FT’s Consumer subscription business has reached a level of maturity and sophistication, and we are now moving into the next phase of our subscription strategy, which calls for an ever-greater focus on customer needs, lifetime value (LTV) and nurturing valuable relationships.
Sitting within the newly formed Consumer Revenue Group (responsible for individual consumer subscriber revenues and profit for the FT), the Customer Relationships Team is focused on driving engagement, managing retention/ churn and increasing the value of our subscriber base. The team’s objective is to build strong and valuable customer relationships through engagement in FT journalism & content, creating community experiences and delivering first-class subscription experiences that drive customer loyalty and advocacy.
The Role / Position Overview
Our Customer Champion role is perfect for someone who is passionate about the power of customer insight to inform strategy and decision making. Reporting to the Head of Planning, Customer Relationships, you will be the absolute expert on our subscribers needs and motivations, their pain points and moments of delight and will use that knowledge to help teams around the business in their decision making - to design customer centric experiences that convert, engage, retention and delight our customers across their lifecycle.
In practice, this means you will
- Work closely with our Customer care team to collate and assess customer feedback, turning it into meaningful and actionable insights to feed into CRG’s strategy and inform product and tech teams requirements.
- Collaborate with teams such as the Business performance team, Analytics, Research and Audience Engagement to gather insights and collate customer knowledge, and to ensure it is delivered to the team and wider business in a meaningful and actionable way
- Bring together qualitative, quantitative and marketing campaign performance data that help marketing teams and product and tech teams make decisions on strategy and tactics
- Work closely with our data science team and our agencies to develop and maintain a clear understanding of our customer segmentation model and other data science models
- Be the go-to person and the voice of our customer (both internal and external, within the CRG team and beyond), ensuring that our customers' needs are front and centre of the decisions made around the FT.
- Identify opportunities / gaps in our knowledge and commission research of analysis to fill that gap
- Gather insights from our competitors and from outside our industry, providing insights on best practise learnings that could inform our customer experiences and marketing strategies. Own and deliver a regular competitor review around the business.
- Develop, launch and maintain a communication strategy (internal) for a voice of the customer programme within the business, sharing a consistent and up to date view of our customer needs across the Customer Relationships team , the wider Consumer Revenue Group and beyond.
- Use insights to help the entire CRG organisation prioritise their activity - meeting customer needs that will also drive business impact
- Share regular updates across the Customer Relationships team and wider Consumer Revenue Group to keep the team informed on new insight and trends.
Required Skills / Experience
- Experience in a researcher or insight role, with proven experience delivering customer insights that impacted the bottom line, ready to take the next step from delivering the research to creating strategic stories
- Excellent analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills - you will enjoy and have experience working with qualitative and quantitative data and customer verbatim, to craft narratives, hypotheses and insights into compelling customer stories from a varied suite of sources
- Customer-centric - you will be endlessly curious about people : their needs, motivations, behaviours and interests.
- Action orientated, commercially minded - You will have proven experience of turning that data into actionable insights, joining the dots between data and business growth opportunities, and be relentless in delivering them to anyone who should listen
- An interest in subscription industries, news publishing
- A self-starter, proven experience of putting themselves into projects where customer insight would inform a better business outcome
- Experience in a similar industry or with similar recurring revenue/subscription models
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.