Company & Department Context
Here at the The Financial Times, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product and Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Learn more about the FT, including announcements and career opportunities, at aboutus.ft.com.
This is an exciting opportunity for a Senior Engineer to join the FT Core group as part of the Product & Technology organisation within FT.
FT Core brings together key digital assets like:
- Content and Metadata - enabling content publishing, smart metadata annotations, content discoverability and delivery in various forms and formats.
- Search and Recommendation - offering end-user search, recommendation and insights APIs bridging the gap between content and user data.
- Subscriptions Platform - powering a seamless subscription/payments/access and the whole newspaper distribution customer journeys
- Access and Identity - enabling multiple authorizations and authentication mechanisms as well as a powerful access decision engine
- Data Platform - enabling storing, processing and getting insights from readership data
You will have the autonomy to select the tools and technologies you need to build and operate services responsible for FT brand critical capabilities. Someone who is comfortable with the ever-changing technical landscape and is keen to contribute to the company’s processes and broader know-how would thrive in this role.
The Subscriptions Platform takes care of some of FT Core business capabilities.
- Subscriptions team - is responsible for managing Financial Times B2C subscription model worldwide. That includes subscription lifecycle, 3rd party integrations with subscription vendors like Apple and Google.
- Payments team - is responsible for the payment process, product and offer management and financial reporting. This includes the integration of new payment methods and payment gateways, and the creation of new products.
- Newspaper Distribution team - The Subscriptions Platform also takes care of providing the delivery and print files for the successful distribution of the Print copy of FT.com throughout the whole world.
You will be responsible for delivering innovative technical solutions as you build and operate world-class platforms. You will have the autonomy, within defined guard rails, to select the tools and technologies you need to build and operate services.
The Tech Stack
We often use these, it's not an exhaustive list but gives you a taste of what our technology stack and tools look like:
- Java (Spring Boot, Dropwizard)
- Kubernetes (EKS)
- RDS (Aurora)
- Web Application Frameworks (Angular/React/Express)
This role will be right for you if you are happy to
- Work directly with product managers and more senior engineers to fully shape solutions from inception to deployment and beyond
- Work within a team of engineers in an agile delivery team
- Design and implement low maintenance, well monitored, secure and scalable solutions, from cradle to grave
- Understand and play an active part in designing the architecture, tooling and release cycle processes used by the engineering teams across Product & Technology
- Contribute to company-wide processes, frameworks and guidelines
- Develop a close relationship with our customers and provide operational support
The ideal candidate profile is
- Extensive development experience in Java
- Has a track record of delivering well engineered solutions using current technologies and best practices such as SOLID, TDD, CI/CD and pair programming
- Create user-friendly web applications, using front-end technologies including frameworks like Angular or React
- Conduct feedback sessions from users and customers to improve the UI of our products
- An active member of the broader technology community with an understand of current leading trends
- Experience working as part of an Agile delivery team, using methodologies like Scrum and Kanban
- Good understanding of the principles and trade-offs of a microservices architecture
- Good SQL knowledge
- Comfortable working in a Linux environment
- Experience of at least one cloud infrastructure, ideally AWS
- Experience in an environment where operational support and monitoring of code and systems is part of the culture (DevOps)
- Experience designing and developing RESTful APIs
- Experience with Spring or Dropwizard Java Frameworks is a plus
In Return, We Can Offer You
- Annual bonus scheme
- 25 days annual paid leave
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave policy
- Monthly Food Allowance
- Multisport Card
- Work-life balance and work from home practice
- Both in house and external training programs
- Your own training dedicated budget (for conferences, courses etc.)
Don’t forget to send over your CV!
The Financial Times Ltd. committed to equality of opportunity. We are determined to create a diverse group at all levels of our Company and we welcome all members of the community we serve to apply for openings with us.