Company & Department Context
Here at the The Financial Times, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product and Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Learn more about the FT, including announcements and career opportunities, at aboutus.ft.com.
This is an exciting opportunity for an engineer to join the FT Specialist group as part of the Product & Technology organisation within FT.
A key part of the business, providing significant revenue and contribution to the FT, is Specialist Titles. This is an exciting time for Specialist Titles as we are creating a large new cross functional product & technology team in Sofia to support the needs of this part of the business. FT Specialist is entering a new era. We have a golden opportunity to renew our technology estate, to use best practices and to build a modern sustainable technology stack that will underpin the success of the business for years to come.
FT Specialist brings together a portfolio of niche digital publications, including ones with more than 160 years of tradition.
You will have the autonomy to select the tools and technologies you need to build and operate services responsible for FT Specialist brand critical capabilities. Someone who is comfortable with the ever changing technical landscape and is keen to contribute to the company’s processes and broader know-how would thrive in this role.
The Tech Stack
We often use these, it's not an exhaustive list but gives you a taste of what our technology stack and tools look like:
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Help with technical decision-making to support the technology strategy
- Aid and support personal development of more junior team-members
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the business domains within FT Specialist. Use that understanding to shape the development of the platforms you build
- Work within the department's strategy and guardrails, and contribute to their ongoing refinement
- Have a practical approach to working with a large portfolio of products that leverage a diverse range of technologies
- Communicate widely within the organisation to ensure best practice in other areas is understood and adopted where it makes sense to do so
Essential skills and experience
- Extensive experience using the wide range of technologies and patterns required to build modern web products and services along with the tools that enable their creation
- Deep knowledge of at least one programming language
- Cloud infrastructure: (AWS, Heroku, GCP or similar)
- Marketing Technology platforms e.g. Bloomreach
- Editorial Technology e.g. CMS and Event Management Platforms
- Databases, document stores, search technologies and data warehouses like MySQL, MongoDB, ElasticSearch, BigQuery or Redshift
- Message queues like Kinesis, SQS etc.
- Application performance tuning and optimisation
- Understanding of CI and CD delivery pipelines like CircleCI or Jenkins
- Designing for fault tolerance
- Writing automated unit and end-to-end tests – with best practice in mind – for feature development
- Able to balance the customer and business product needs with those needed to build high quality products
- Understand the importance of diversity and equality in a well functioning team
- Be able to communicate clearly and concisely
Desirable skills and experience
- An understanding of CDNs and the role they play is web application architecture. e.g.Fastly, Cloudfront, Akamai etc.
- Instrumenting for observability and operability
- Understand how to build and maintain APIs
- How to design software to support easy scaling using a methodology like the 12 factor app
In Return, We Can Offer You
- Annual bonus scheme
- 25 days annual paid leave
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave policy
- Food Vouchers
- Multisport Card
- Work-life balance and work from home practice
- Both in house and external training programs
- Your own training dedicated budget (for conferences, courses etc.)
Don’t forget to send over your CV!
The Financial Times Ltd. committed to equality of opportunity. We are determined to create a diverse group at all levels of our Company and we welcome all members of the community we serve to apply for openings with us.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The FT are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.