The FT has an uncompromising mission: delivering independent, quality information, news and services to individuals and companies around the globe. It’s the cornerstone of our reputation and the heart of our ambitions for the future. But for our people, the FT offers so much more than what we do. FT people come from all kinds of backgrounds and work across a huge range of disciplines and locations, and find an empowering, warm and welcoming culture that values curiosity and rewards smart, ambitious thinking. Those who are willing to unite around our mission and live our values will find plenty to challenge, inspire and interest them. Like the audiences we serve, no two FT people are the same; but together we help our audience be better informed and understand the world around them. It’s a job that’s never mattered more, and a career that can take you anywhere you want to go.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Role / Position Overview
Financial Times Live (FT Live) is the conferences and events division of the Financial Times newspaper and its group publications. Our mission is to bring our global executive audiences the very latest in knowledge and opinion, and connect them to one another.
Chaired by senior FT journalists, the 200-plus core events, strategic forums and digital webinars organised by FT Live every year gather pre-eminent public and private sector decision-makers, visionaries and strategists from the world’s most important economies and industries for agenda-setting debates that cover the key issues of our time.
From unique experiences such as the FTWeekend Festival to our senior-level business summits such as the award winning Global Boardroom, FT Live has become one of the FT Group’s most successful and fastest-growing divisions, and is at the forefront of the FT’s accelerated development as an essential, interactive information source across numerous platforms.
Banking & Finance is an integral part of the editorial coverage of the Financial Times newspaper, our specialist titles, data products and their respective websites. Similarly, Banking & Finance is a key component sector for Financial Times Live; the central conferences, events and awards division of the FT Group.
FT Live is looking for an individual to join our commercial team to develop & maintain a profitable franchise within the Banking & Finance portfolio and help increase the financial services offering within Financial Times Live – Global Conferences and Events (FT Live) utilising financial publishing brands and expertise.
In this role you’ll:
- Support the development of Banking & Finance events within FT Live globally.
- Help cultivate an expanding business within the FT Group.
- Generate new revenue streams working across our Banking & Finance portfolio
- Work across our entire portfolio of products which includes bespoke events, half and full day conferences, and industry leading awards.
- Be responsible for all stages of the commercial cycle, including: prospect identification, client consultation, proposal creation, contract negotiation.Maintain and strategically develop a number of key accounts.
- Exceed monthly activity levels.
- Prospect, pitch, and close new business in excess of annual targets.
- Analyse the territories in assigned sectors and prioritise new business.
- Create client relationships within the banking and financial services sector.
- Develop accounts, proposals and secure signed contracts.
- Work closely with events delivery team; editorial/content, marketing, design and operations.
- Attend and network at industry events globally.
Key areas of knowledge: Banking and Financial Services; including but not limited to: Financial Techynology capital markets, asset and fund management, pensions and investments.
You’ll bring to the role:
- Excellent presentation and communication skills.
- Good level of initiative and self-motivation, pro-active.
- Experience of creating new revenue streams and increasing the value of existing ones
- Proven commercial track record of surpassing targets.
- Commercial awareness and ability to adapt approach based on industry sector and job function.
- Awareness of wider industry segment business issues and ability to converse credibly with clients on a range of national and international business topics.
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to use influencing strategies to gain commitment both with peers and colleagues.
- Proficient in MS Office suite.
- Experience creating revenue streams within a commercial events business through sponsorship sales.
- Ability to work within a large, dynamic and fast moving international business.
- Proven ability to deliver new business against performance related targets.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt approach based on client’s needs.
- Experience of dealing with senior level management with the banking and financial services sectors.
- Understanding of wider industry segment business issues and ability to converse credibly with clients on a range of national and international business topics.
- Experience of working internationally.
- Task & time management proficiency.
- Ideally a minimum of 1 years’ sales experience or business development and/or account management at a media owner.
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.