Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. We're a digital-first organisation made up of journalists, technologists, product managers, event planners, strategists, commercial and finance experts, marketing and communications specialists - and much more. Our strength is in our employees.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Performance Marketing Team
FT’s Consumer subscription business has reached a level of maturity and sophistication, and we are now moving into the next phase of our subscription strategy, which calls for increased customer acquisition alongside an ever-greater focus on customer needs, lifetime value (LTV) and nurturing valuable relationships.
Sitting within the newly formed Consumer Revenue Group (responsible for individual consumer subscriber revenues and profit for the FT), the Performance Marketing team is a centre of excellence, providing specialist skills and solutions to other teams within the department. We anticipate our marketing to become more technology, logic and data-driven and our campaigning will become more complex; thus, we need to operationalise these new capabilities. This team prioritises and provides campaign management, channel innovation, experimentation and utilisation of data and technology to improve marketing effectiveness.
The Role / Position Overview
The Performance Marketing Executive - Awareness & Understanding is primarily responsible for the day to day running of our global performance marketing campaigns, with a focus on B2C audience growth and direct conversion towards an FT subscription, at a cost-effective CPA (cost-per-acquisition). This role will be involved in our ‘upper-funnel’ activity, namely our above the line media buying (TV, OOH, Audio etc) and our content marketing strategy. The role will require an enthusiastic digital marketer who loves numbers, applies data and utilises technology to drive continual improvements in what we do and how we do it. It requires somebody with growing commercial acumen and an equally strong eye for detail who enjoys working with cross-functional teams and can both inspire and motivate others to innovate and increase marketing impact.
Reporting to the Performance Marketing Manager, the successful candidate will act with an inquisitive, curious mindset to drive strategic marketing through new tactics, initiatives and channels that will enable us to increase the volume of new individual subscribers that we can acquire across a suite of digital products.
- Deliver and optimise agreed Performance Marketing plans that align with monthly, quarterly and annual acquisition targets for the Consumer Revenue Group (CRG);
- Oversee day to day content promotion across channels including Meta (Facebook) and Display, working alongside regional marketing managers to identify key themes that should be highlighted in our core markets;
- Collaborate with our Audience Engagement team on appropriate use of Editorial content and its presentation within our marketing ads;
- Support on all mid-funnel BAU and campaign implementation including detailed briefing of creatives, ad copy and tracking to our media agencies;
- Collaborate with the wider team and media agency in tracking OOH, audio and video content during biannual campaigns using brand tracker tools such as Qualtrics, as well as brand uplift studies.
- Collaborate effectively with the CRG and our media agencies, communicating new ideas and initiatives that can be adopted across Performance Marketing plans to drive our overall business goals;
- Collaborate and brief internal design teams to continually develop and enhance performance creative based on performance insights;
- Regularly undertake competitor analysis to ascertain how FT competitors are approaching Performance Marketing to include creative, messaging and offer presentation. Make recommendations to internal teams for test and learn scenarios;
- Maintain regular performance reporting on a weekly and monthly basis to determine our top performing channels, as well as actively apply these learnings to identify future tests that enhance current activity. Focus on volume and value metrics, using this knowledge to feed into weekly and monthly trends, as well as future testing opportunities;
- Investigate any occurring errors or sudden unexplained alterations in performance and make recommendations for resolution.
Required Skills / Experience
- 1-2 years experience in a commercially focused digital marketing role delivery bottom-line impacts through marketing;
- Previous experience working in marketing for a subscriptions business is desirable, with a proven track record of delivering successful campaigns for a B2C organisation;
- Previous experience working in a news organisation or with editorial teams is also desirable;
- Good understanding of third-party marketing platforms - social media, search, display advertising and mobile marketing;
- Ability to measure and report on the effectiveness of campaigns against primary business objectives;
- Excellent analytical skills and attention to detail;
- Demonstrable professionalism and proven ability to operate in a complex, fast-paced, matrixed business environment.
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.