The FT has an uncompromising mission: delivering independent, quality information, news and services to individuals and companies around the globe. It’s the cornerstone of our reputation and the heart of our ambitions for the future. But for our people, the FT offers so much more than what we do. FT people come from all kinds of backgrounds and work across a huge range of disciplines and locations, and find an empowering, warm and welcoming culture that values curiosity and rewards smart, ambitious thinking. Those who are willing to unite around our mission and live our values will find plenty to challenge, inspire and interest them. Like the audiences we serve, no two FT people are the same; but together we help our audience be better informed and understand the world around them. It’s a job that’s never mattered more, and a career that can take you anywhere you want to go.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
FT Live overview:
Financial Times Live (FT Live) is the conferences and events division of the Financial Times newspaper and its group publications. Our mission is to bring our global executive audiences the very latest in knowledge and opinion, and connect them to one another.
Chaired by senior FT journalists, the 200-plus core events, strategic forums and digital webinars organised by FT Live every year gather pre-eminent public and private sector decision-makers, visionaries and strategists from the world’s most important economies and industries for agenda-setting debates that cover the key issues of our time.
From unique experiences such as the FTWeekend Festival to our senior-level business summits such as the award winning Global Boardroom, FT Live has become one of the FT Group’s most successful and fastest-growing divisions, and is at the forefront of the FT’s accelerated development as an essential, interactive information source across numerous platforms.
The Role / Position Overview
We are growing our FT Live business and looking for sales professionals to join the dynamic and collaborative team. The Commercial Manager is responsible for driving event sponsorship revenue and developing high level relationships with a global client base.
In this role you’ll:
- Secure high-level sponsorship deals from global corporations and institutes, working closely with FT Live’s content, operations and marketing teams
- Work across our portfolio of physical and digital event products which includes bespoke events, half and full day conferences, and industry leading awards
- Be responsible for all stages of the commercial cycle, including: prospect identification, client consultation, proposal creation, contract negotiation and revenue processing
- Exceed monthly activity levels and targets
- Maintain and strategically develop a number of key accounts
- Prospect, pitch, and close new business in excess of annual targets
- Analyse the territories in assigned sectors and prioritise new business
- Create international client relationships at a senior decision-maker level
- Work on integrated business solutions in collaboration with FT’s advertising, research and content businesses
- Attend and network at industry events domestically and globally
Skills you’ll bring to the role:.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Well organised with a high level of initiative, self-motivation and a proactive mindset
- Experience of working in a target driven environment, helping to develop new revenue streams and increasing the value of existing products
- Commercial awareness and ability to adapt your sales approach
- A minimum of 12 months sales or business development and/or account management experience
- Awareness of industry segment business opportunities and ability to converse credibly with clients on a range of national and international business topics
- Strong proposal writing, negotiation and client management skills
- Proven ability to develop high-value accounts and deliver new business against performance-related targets
- Proficient in CRM system usage e.g Salesforce (preferred).
- Ability to work within a large, dynamic and fast-moving international business.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt approach based on client’s needs
- Experience of dealing with senior-level management internally and externally
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.