The FT has an uncompromising mission: delivering independent, quality information, news and services to individuals and companies around the globe. It’s the cornerstone of our reputation and the heart of our ambitions for the future. But for our people, the FT offers so much more than what we do. FT people come from all kinds of backgrounds and work across a huge range of disciplines and locations, and find an empowering, warm and welcoming culture that values curiosity and rewards smart, ambitious thinking. Those who are willing to unite around our mission and live our values will find plenty to challenge, inspire and interest them. Like the audiences we serve, no two FT people are the same; but together we help our audience be better informed and understand the world around them. It’s a job that’s never mattered more, and a career that can take you anywhere you want to go.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The Role / Position Overview
A pivotal role in a busy production department that produces a range of content including but not limited to: documentary shorts, animations, podcasts, live events, digital interactives and articles. The Senior Production Manager will support Alpha Grid’s ambitious expansion plan by enabling efficiency, delivery and quality of branded content campaigns.
You will oversee Alpha Grid’s operational, financial and logistical production management.
Ensuring quality is maintained while improving production efficiency, and promoting deployment and use of new technologies - including the introduction of a new production platform.
You will champion and drive new ways of working with a particular focus on sustainability and DE&I.
Accountable for consistency of approach in scheduling, budgeting and managing productions in line with relevant frameworks.
Jointly accountable for delivering efficient and sustainable productions through effective management of people and resources.
Ensuring transparency and accuracy in the financial reporting of production related revenues and variable costs.
- Management of all production budgets and understanding key financial drivers and their impact
- Responsible for the resourcing of productions (freelance and staff)
- Be up to date with latest production techniques and be able to offer practical and creative solutions to ensure productions are delivered to the highest possible standard, within financial parameters
- Establish efficient and repeatable ways of working that provide end-to-end and integrated content services for our clients, protecting and promoting key sector expertise and connecting our teams globally
- Ability to operate under tight timescales and manage competing priorities
- Be a consistent expert in the field of production - acting as a role model to teams and colleagues
- Supervise and guide staff on booking production logistics, including travel, accommodation, permits and carnets
- Responsible for ensuring that all shoots are properly organised (with all documentation in place), adhere to H&S and legal requirements
- Management of the freelance bench of staff
- Forecasting and managing budgeting across freelance talent, across all invoicing and purchase orders of all bookings
- Management and delegation of work to Production Assistants
- Build, galvanise and shape our delivery team, ensuring the right mix of talent and expertise for the breadth of our work, and ensuring we can deliver what we ideate
- Actively contribute to Alpha Grid’s positive working culture by being a team player
Required Skills / Experience
- At least four years experience working as a production manager at a publisher, broadcaster or content agency
- Expert knowledge of production processes, workflows, tools and methodologies
- Proactive, solution-focussed and detail oriented
- Financial and commercial acumen to ensure sustainable growth and profitability through the management of resources and processes
- Strong leadership, collaboration and organisational skills
- Oversight of compliance processes and resourcing and capacity management systems
- Experience in setting up complex shoots overseas
- Proven architect of delivery process, excellence and efficiency - championing best practice through alleviation of bottlenecks, duplication, team inefficiencies and manual processes
- Ability to define, champion, and lead the team to excellence in delivering world-class work, and help build the culture and climate for success
- A proven system thinker who can drive workflow optimisation, automation & innovation
- Vast experience of managing production resource across large teams
- Sourcing and contracting third-party partners and suppliers
- Knowledge of health & safety rules, legal production requirements, post-production paperwork and clearances
- Strong ethos to deliver innovative, creative solutions that have the client’s needs at the heart
What’s in it for you? Our benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.