Company & Department Context
Here at the The Financial Times, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product and Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Learn more about the FT, including announcements and career opportunities, at aboutus.ft.com.
Team and Role Overview
FT Core brings together key digital assets like:
- Content and Metadata - enabling content publishing, smart metadata annotations, content discoverability and delivery in various forms and formats.
- Membership - powering a seamless subscription/payments/access and the whole newspaper distribution customer journeys
- Data Platform - enabling storing, processing and getting insights from readership data
You will have the autonomy to select the tools and technologies you need to build and operate services responsible for FT brand critical capabilities. Someone who is comfortable with the ever changing technical landscape and is keen to contribute to the company’s processes and broader know-how would thrive in this role.
The Membership Platform takes care of some of FT Core business capabilities.
- Access and Identity decisions - who is able to access FT.com, what the user can read, share articles and store user information.
- Subscriptions & Payments - what subscriptions each user has, when and how they pay and process the transactions.
- Newspaper Distribution - The Membership Platform also takes care of providing the delivery and print files for the successful distribution of the Print copy of FT.com throughout the whole world.
You will be responsible for delivering innovative technical solutions as you build and operate world class platforms. You will have the autonomy, within defined guard rails, to select the tools and technologies you need to build and operate services.
We have recently published our Engineering Progression framework and associated competencies for a Software Engineer relevant to this position
- You will be responsible for delivering innovative technical solutions as you build and operate world class platforms.
- You will have the autonomy, within defined guard rails, to select the tools and technologies you need to build and operate services.
We have recently published our Engineering Progression framework and associated competencies for a Software Engineer relevant to this position.
The Tech Stack
We often use these, it's not an exhaustive list but gives you a taste of what our technology stack and tools look like:
- Java (Spring Boot, Dropwizard)
- Kubernetes (EKS)
- Cron and kubernetes jobs
Required Skills / Experience
- working experience with Java, Spring, Microservice Architecture, RDBS
- knowledge about design patterns & SOLID principles
- knowledge about CI/CD
- Docker and container orchestration
In Return, We Can Offer You
- Annual bonus scheme
- 25 days annual paid leave
- 24/7 Employee Assistance Program
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Enhanced Maternity and Paternity Leave policy
- Food Vouchers
- Multisport Card
- Work-life balance and work from home practice
- Both in house and external training programs
- Your own training dedicated budget (for conferences, courses etc.)
Don’t forget to send over your CV!
The Financial Times Ltd. committed to equality of opportunity. We are determined to create a diverse group at all levels of our Company and we welcome all members of the community we serve to apply for openings with us.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
The FT are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.