About FT Product & Technology
Here at the Financial Times, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product & Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups
The Role Overview
Exciting opportunity to join one of the world's most renowned newspapers the Financial Times (FT).
The Network teams responsibilities span end to end in all areas of a global network with the associated services and scope.
We are constantly pushing the boundaries in the quality of our network services that support our internal global users. Always looking for better, simpler and more effective ways of delivery in a fast paced environment.
For this role we’re looking for a willing and eager to learn, well rounded, self-starting, technically capable mid level engineer. Who has five years of provable end to end hands-on technical networking experience and who has supported a global enterprise organization to join the team.
Certification is beneficial and a nice to have, but not essential if you have the required experience
Working Hours - Primarily UK hours (hybrid working)
This role has a wide technical and global remit which includes:
- Management and operational support of office and cloud LAN and WAN networks including routing, switching, wifi, and firewall services
- Connectivity into Cloud Services
- Exploiting and exposing the performance of the global networks for all. Using tools such as Solarwinds, Grafana, Splunk etc
- Continual service improvement of all network services
- Troubleshoot problem areas as required, providing in depth network support to both operational support and project teams
- Manage and administer systems that relate to network management. This includes network monitoring and analysis tools as well as peripheral network services like DNS and DHCP.
- Producing network documentation for internal network team and wider technology colleagues
- Active involvement in all stages of planning of initiatives
- Ensure all network components adhere to security standards
- Project and Design work
Skills and Experience
We are looking for an experienced network engineer who can use their hands on technical knowledge and experience of a breadth of network technologies and processes to help promote continued quality within the Networks Team.
To achieve this you will ideally have these types of skills:
- Highly capable in managing and troubleshooting in a Cisco world to a senior level
- Exposure to managing and configuring firewalls, (Checkpoint beneficial).
- Solid switching and routing skills and experience supporting both Layer 2 and Layer 3 networks using routing protocols.
- Experience in implementing or managing SD-WAN architecture
- Maximizing performance and availability of wireless networking (Cisco)
- Exploitation of network monitoring and management tools
- Inter-office and inter-cloud private IP networking
- Experience with or a good understanding of Cloud Computing e.g. IaaS, PaaS, SaaS etc.
- Familiarity with a range of AWS technologies, (such as Cloudformation, Security Groups and EC2)
- Produce effective documentation to communicate anything from an idea to hand-over
- Understanding of agile development and its core principles
- Good command of written and fluent spoken English.
- Must have a can-do attitude
- Scrum or Kanban delivery methodology
- At least 5 years of experience
These are handy if you have some knowledge… but don't be put off if you don't…
- Experience in Python, Ansible or similar,
- Experienced with scripting (bash or otherwise)
What’s in it for you? FT Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working, medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages and subsidised gym memberships. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
Why the FT could be right for you
The Financial Times is a great place to work – we have a technical stack that is cutting edge, our product development methodologies are very current, our engineers are free to choose the tools they need and are able to influence the development process.
Why the FT could be right for you
- You'll be working with some extraordinary people both from the technology team and wider business
- You’ll be working in a supportive, collaborative, and fulfilling environment
- You’ll be working in teams that make their own decisions and have their own independence but have the resources of one of the world’s leading news organisations.
The FT are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.