Across the FT Group, our people are united by a mission to deliver world-class information, news and services to our global audiences. We're a digital-first organisation made up of journalists, technologists, product managers, event planners, strategists, commercial and finance experts, marketing and communications specialists - and much more. Our strength is in our employees.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
As a People Tech Engineer, you will be contributing to the architecture, deployment, and continual improvement of Workday, as well as ensuring that Workday operates in conjunction with other solutions for a worldwide team of 2,000+ team members. We’re looking for a mid-level engineer with 2-3 years of relevant work experience in this position.
Although the role is based within the FT’s Product and Technology area we work just as closely with the FT’s Human Resources team as we do with our colleagues in P&T.
The Staff Experience department in P&T currently has around 50 people working in multiple teams globally that have diverse remits, including; HR systems, the management and provision of end user devices, Identity and Access Management, Collaboration Tooling, Networking, the Global Service Desk and managing the infrastructure that prints our newspaper across globally. We all value transparency, accountability, shared responsibility and teamwork. The teams work closely together with a very supportive, knowledge sharing ethos.
We ensure FT Staff have the tools they need to run a business providing world class journalism to our customers. We support informal knowledge sharing alongside more formal training opportunities.
You can also get an insight into how we work from our FT Product & Technology Medium publication.
- Configure, implement, test, deploy and support functionalities within Workday HCM solution, benefits, reporting, data configuration, and absence management
- Work closely within the People Tech team and external stakeholders to define the best feasible solutions
- Drive and support efficient implementation of HR new ways of working
- Facilitate HR team, managers, and employees’ adoption of Workday best practices
- Build ad-hoc reports for internal teams and stakeholders
- Manage and troubleshoot integrations between internal and external systems
- Provide day-to-day support for the entire user base circa 3k employees
- Manage and deliver projects to enhance the HR departments digital capabilities
- Write system documentation
- Provide support for other HR systems including Peopledoc, Greenhouse, Thrive and Global Risk Manager.
Required Skills / Experience
Core Workday Skills
- Robust configuration experience with the Core HCM module
- Ability to process inbound EIB (Enterprise Interface Builder) data loads
- Good business process configuration skills
- Experience in creating and amending security groups
- Good ‘report writer’ skills
- Good general troubleshooting skills within Workday
- At least 2-3 years of experience managing Workday
- Proactivity in highlighting issues and wanting to make them better
- Being able to comfortably communicate with a broad range of people in the immediate team, the department as a whole, external suppliers and stakeholders
- Working understanding of HR and payroll processes
- Exposure to working with Agile Methodologies (Sprints, retrospectives, planning)
- Problem solving skills, inquisitive nature
- Being collaborative and supportive
- Enjoy learning and teaching — whether that be pair programming, lightning talks, good documentation, leading workshops or mentoring more junior members of the team.
- Ability to raise the skills and performance of those around you.
- Keen to take action whilst being pragmatic.
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.