About FT Product & Technology
Here at the Financial Times, gold-standard journalism is just the beginning. 500-people strong, our Product & Tech team keeps us ahead of the ever-changing digital landscape by delivering cutting-edge products to over one million digital subscribers every day. Our plans for growth rely on a diverse, dedicated and dynamic group of product, tech, delivery and data specialists - everyone’s welcome in this friendly, forward-thinking team. And with entrepreneurial spirit, intelligence and opportunity at every turn, there’s no limits to where your FT career will take you.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we aim for employees across all regions to have a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work and have the flexibility they need to meet their personal needs. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups
We are now looking for Senior Data Mapping Specialist who will be:
Working as a part of Data Governance, responsible for leading on the collection and collation of metadata on the data held by the company and its subsidiaries globally. Part information-seeking and part information-deriving, this role spearheads efforts designed to enable information flow across the business by working with subject matter experts across the wider Group to distil information about the non-journalism data we hold, store it in a central Data Catalogue, ensure its accessibility and maintenance, and co-author solutions for those requiring Data Maps built on this information for various use cases. This will largely be to support the ongoing programme of risk management in the data and compliance space, the good governance of the company’s data and the ease and accuracy of use of data across the company’s estate. This role manages the work of the Data Mapping Specialist(s) and as such is a line management role, but the role itself follows the company’s Hybrid Working Policy.
The role will help populate and repopulate the data catalogue and primary products of that catalogue, including data lineages and maps, and could go on to develop the ability to influence design of these products as the ongoing cycle of change goes on. The ongoing management of the content of the Data Catalogue is expected to be carried out by the role, coordinating the regular input of experts across the business to ensure that the integrity of the catalogue is maintained.
In this role you would be seen as a go-to person for creating and maintaining Data Maps and the underpinning Data Catalogue, ensuring the team manages regular reviews of information, gathering of initial input, regularisation and formatting of information, as well as appointments and alerts for those experts across the group who must provide input to ensure the catalogue and its primary outputs reflect the reality on the ground.
It is also essential that you can act as a bridge between teams to ensure the regular and accurate gathering of relevant metadata, and need to maintain these relationships to ensure ongoing maintenance of the information. As a result of this, excellent stakeholder management skills are crucial. You will perform various functions to support the provision of required Data Maps that can be leveraged across the organisation to enhance the business. This is a hands-on operational role.
- Manage the Data Mapping Specialist and coordinate their work to ensure the ongoing population of the Data Catalogue
- Follow and help define processes to maintain and improve data catalogue and consequential data maps
- Map key data items across the group by working with Data Stewards and other Subject Matter Experts to populate Data catalogue
- Collect and consolidate metadata
- Manage regular review and renewal of Data Catalogue content in line with business priority
- Support and coordinate the creation of relevant maps and records based on the content of the data catalogue with your team and areas of the business.
- Monitor catalogue for inconsistencies
- Coordinate with subject matter experts and business areas to ensure the matter-of-fact content in the catalogue serves the desired business objectives
- Ensure linked information in catalogue (documentation, minutes of decision making meetings) is made available and stored appropriately
- Grow a deep knowledge of the FT Group’s data stores
Support further integration of the data catalogue with other sources of business information
- Ensure that the GDPR Record of Processing Activities can be fulfilled using the Data Catalogue
- Have an understanding of GDPR and other similar regulations.
Skills/ experience we are looking for:
- This inquisitive role will require an eye for detail to ensure that information is handled accurately and definitions, locations and names are stripped of ambiguity.
- An ideal candidate may have previous experience working closely with data cataloguing or data dictionaries
- Experience extracting technical or complex information from experts and translating to more accessible language
- Have a passion for all things data
- Strong organisational skills, able to manage multiple stakeholders and to deliver effectively in a fast paced, collaborative environment
- Strong communication skills - ability to translate between technical and business stakeholders
- Some line management experience (1+) desirable
- Degree in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience.
- Relevant certifications
- Some line management experience (1+)
What’s in it for you? FT Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working, medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages and subsidised gym memberships. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT are committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, please contact a member of our HR team who will be happy to help.