The FT has an uncompromising mission: delivering independent, quality information, news and services to individuals and companies around the globe. It’s the cornerstone of our reputation and the heart of our ambitions for the future. But for our people, the FT offers so much more than what we do. FT people come from all kinds of backgrounds and work across a huge range of disciplines and locations, and find an empowering, warm and welcoming culture that values curiosity and rewards smart, ambitious thinking. Those who are willing to unite around our mission and live our values will find plenty to challenge, inspire and interest them. Like the audiences we serve, no two FT people are the same; but together we help our audience be better informed and understand the world around them. It’s a job that’s never mattered more, and a career that can take you anywhere you want to go.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
At the FT, we give all employees a voice so that diverse perspectives are heard and valued. We believe that a supportive workplace is one where employees feel they can be themselves at work. We'll continue to remove barriers for all, and in particular barriers facing employees from underrepresented groups.
About this contract
We are searching for a self-motivated independent consultant to undertake a fixed-term contract for our company - of 7 months duration. The independent consultant's responsibilities include completing assigned tasks with minimal supervision.
To ensure success as an independent consultant, you should possess excellent communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills. Ultimately, as an outstanding Independent Consultant you are expected to produce high-quality work with minimal supervision, with a track record of working to agreed deadlines with clear independently-tracked processes to report deliverables.
The location for this assignment has been chosen to best support the location of the existing teams responsible for delivering the outcomes, as well as to provide “follow-the-sun” project management capabilities in this timezone to complement our global operations across Asia & the USA.
About the FT Staff Experience Group
The Staff Experience Group provides the platforms & systems needed to support all FT staff and deliver great employee experience.
Of several teams in this group, this role will be working with the largest - The Global Service Desk at the FT.
Our GSD team is the main point of contact for all Tech support issues and works with the principles of customer obsession. There are Service desk teams in 5 locations around the globe to support FT Staff.
We value transparency, accountability, shared responsibility and teamwork. The teams work closely together with a very supportive, knowledge sharing ethos.
What you will work on
Reporting to the Staff Experience Delivery Director and working closely with the Head of Global Service Desk, you will help continue the transformation of the global Service Desk team from operational focus to project outcomes that deliver outstanding customer service to all FT staff.
You will spend your time
- Executing & delivering outcomes that deliver the vision and strategy for the global service desk teams
- Ensuring the global teams operate in concert on deliverables agreed with the leadership team
- Introduce Agile Working methodologies to lead the teams to deliver great customer service
- Work with the Head of GSD to set the priorities for the team to meet outcomes set by the group technical director
- Contribute to building a vision to bring increasing automation to the global service desk
- Drive customer outreach and communicate with stakeholders to understand what they want to help solve their problems
- Analysing and reporting team performance metrics
- Provide support for the careers and personal professional growth of the team
- Actively contributing to and fostering an inclusive organisational culture
- Continuously improving the Agile methodologies used by the team to deliver outcomes
- Actively participating in the Staff Experience Delivery team
Your responsibilities as an Independent Consultant
- Liaising with the director to elucidate the assignment requirements, as needed
- Gathering the materials needed to complete the assignment
- Overseeing the assignment, from inception to completion
- Tailoring your approach to work to suit the assignment specifications, as required
- Communicating assignment-related issues with the client as soon as they arise
- Ensuring that assignments are completed according to stipulated requirements
- Finalising tasks by predetermined deadlines
We have a mixed estate (Windows, Chromebook and OSX) and an increasingly automated and integrated tool set. This includes;
- Device management - Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) for our Windows estate and JAMF for our Apple estate.
- Cloud platforms - We primarily utilise Amazon Web Services (AWS) across our estate, but also have Google Cloud Platform (GCP) and Azure in limited instances.
- Communication tools - Slack Google Hangouts and are the primary communication tools across the FT, but we also use RingCentral to varying degrees depending on the business area.
- Identify Access Management (IAM) - Okta, Active Directory and Google.
- Audio/Visual technology - Google Hangouts Meet, and OneLan. Being a media company, it’s important we have the right technology to enable the business to communicate.
- Previous experience delivering IP telephony solutions will be well regarded, as initiatives in this area are planned
Delivery Management at Financial Times
Delivery Managers are here to:
- Create vision and value - Work with Technical and Product leaders to define, shape and prioritise the vision, goals, initiatives and outcomes - seeking value, avoiding complexity, ensuring the right things happen.
- Build good governance - Manage and monitor budget, resources, and risks - proactively planning and taking corrective action where necessary to ensure delivery is as successful as possible.
- Deliver value - Work across disciplines to ensure that work flows effectively and that the benefits of products and services delivered are measured.
- Coach and facilitate teams - Resolve conflict and disagreement, facilitate workshops, remove distractions and impediments, help them make decisions, whatever it takes to ensure they are able to operate effectively.
- Create transparency - Clearly communicate vision, schedule and progress, both within and outside of the teams.
Independent consultants undertaking contracts with the FT work to support these values by bringing demonstrable experience in these areas to the delivery discipline.
You are an experienced independent consultant with a demonstrable track-record of delivering high profile contracts for tier one companies. You are obsessed with value, measurement, teamwork and driving delivery to achieve commercial objectives. You enjoy communicating, facilitating, creating vision and consensus, but are also a leader in your own right. You are also adept at stakeholder communication, engagement and creating transparency.
You must be able to operate autonomously & with minimal supervision. You will be expected to translate high-level objectives into actionable work break-down structures that teams can act on. You are enthusiastic, proactive and able to resolve conflict. The FT values empowerment and you must be able to steer a team towards self-organisation.
- Access to all human and material resources needed to conduct duties
- Experience of managing delivery against measurable business outcomes
- Proven experience in a similar position, leading and coaching Lean-Agile teams and other agile project managers
- Portfolio of completed projects for clients similar to the FT
- A good understanding of Lean-Agile principles and multiple methodologies
- Strong experience of coaching Lean-Agile teams and individuals, workshop facilitation and structured problem solving
- Strong experience of digital product development
- A flexible approach to managing multiple teams & initiatives in parallel
- Proactive and an accomplished influencer - ability to negotiate with other programmes and teams to deliver work to fixed deadlines
- Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills, with ability to present complex concepts clearly
- Driven, self-motivated disposition
- Ability to work with minimal guidance
- Comfortable with spoken and written English
- Technical background: understanding software development and web technologies and preferably hands-on experience
- An interest in continuous integration & transitioning to the cloud
- Experience in leading and developing a cross functional team
What’s in it for you? Our Benefits
Our benefits vary depending on location, but we are committed to providing best in class perks across all our offices as well as an inclusive environment to develop your career. Examples of our benefits include; generous annual leave allowances, flexible working (including working from home), medical cover, enhanced maternity & paternity packages, subsidised gym memberships and Giving Back opportunities. Full details of our benefits can be found here.
The FT is committed to providing an inclusive working environment for all. We are an equal opportunities employer who seeks to recruit and appoint the best talent regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We have implemented a hybrid working model and we also promote flexible working and will consider specific requests around flexibility for all roles where it can be accommodated. Please let us know if you require any adjustments as part of the application process or to enable you to attend an interview. If you would like to discuss your requirements, or have any questions, firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will be happy to help.