1stDigital is a digital asset focused trust, custody, financial technology company at the vanguard of the emerging digitalization of assets, where the full value for your worldly assets can finally unite like other digital data. Our best-in-class custodian and near-banking layer enables previously unattainable options for payments, asset management and access to products that can help enhance financial inclusion.
Our infrastructure – including FDUSD, Asia’s 1st home grown blockchain-based USD stable-coin – Developed to help economies, institutions and developers gain access to technology breakthroughs and capitalize on the digital evolution of finance, trust, and technology.
As a key member of the commercial leadership team in our Hong Kong head office, you will be working closely with and providing legal advice to the First Digital Group of businesses, assisting in analysing compliance issues applicable to the businesses, reviewing business opportunities from a legal & compliance perspective, addressing regulatory inquiries and handling client issues, and helping to drive forward strategic business initiatives and projects for First Digital Globally.
- Manage a team of staff in Legal and Compliance team including AML, Regulatory, Legal Counsel and Control Room Functions
- Advising the business and management on AML related matters, keeping the firm’s AML policy abreast, acting as the AMLCO, MLRO and AML MIC.
- Leading and executing a risk-based AML/CTF compliance program to ensure ongoing compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements
- Implementation and oversight of all aspects of AML/CTF systems, including monitoring effectiveness and enhancing the controls and procedures where necessary
- Acting as designated MLRO, reviewing internal reports of suspicious transactions, filing STRs as needed, and maintaining all records relating to such matters
- Serving as the primary point of contact for compliance communications and requests from our partner financial institutions, JFIU, law enforcement agencies, and any other competent authorities
- Monitoring the regulatory/compliance landscape across jurisdictions and provide support and guidance to the senior management to ensure that ML/TF risks are adequately managed
- Head of deals and customers in APAC
- Provide legal strategies to facilitate the rollout of our products to new clients locally, regionally, and globally
- Support expansion and launches to client verticals in global markets
- Work with the compliance and risk teams globally to align on policy
- Liaise with regulators and industry groups to lobby for First Digital’s initiatives and respond to consultation papers
- Review, draft and assist in negotiation of agreements in support of First Digital’s business operations (e.g. constitutive documentation, commercial agreements, distribution agreements, rebate agreements, investment agreements, partner, licenses and vendor service agreements etc.)
- Provide legal advice and support to, and coordinate with, other control functions including Compliance, Risks and Internal Audit
- Provide legal advice and support to ensure that the governance and control framework has robust processes and procedures in place to meet all regulatory and statutory obligations
- Owning other compliance aspects, such as requirements under the DTROPO, the OSCO, and the UNATMO, exchange of financial account information for tax purposes (AEoI and FATCA), and data privacy compliance
- Providing day-to-day compliance support and issue resolution to cross-functional teams and serving as the primary subject matter expert for new initiatives and projects
- Interacting with Product and Engineering teams in active feedback loops to design scalable and compliant technology-driven financial services with built-in AML/CTF systems
- Lead and manage licensing applications across various overseas jurisdictions, including researching licensing requirements, preparing and submitting supporting documents and related filings
- Promote a culture of compliance within the organization by continuously guiding and coaching staff concerning ML/TF and financial crime risks
- 10+ years of legal & compliance experience, incl. 3-5+ years of experience in a decision-making function (e.g., Head of Compliance, Head or Legal & Compliance, MLRO, or similar).
- LLB, LLM or Juris Doctor
- A keen interest in the virtual asset space, experience working with crypto related financial services regulation and the fintech industry
- Experience managing and leading a team
- In-depth knowledge of the macro legal and business environment revolving around digital assets and digital currency in the APAC & EMEA regions
- Outstanding negotiation, communication, and leadership skills
- The ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated capability in managing and leading legal teams
- Strong analytical skills and ability to exercise sound judgment and manage execution under pressure.
- Energetic, attentive to detail and capable of multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively and independently in a team-oriented setting, prioritize projects to meet tight deadlines. Highly motivated self-starter with an ability to work independently
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- We’re a global company whose primary business language is English and so fluency in English is required
- First-hand experience running very efficient compliance processes at scale (B2B), including using automation, external tools, without relying on outsourcing.
- Strong knowledge in Corporate Finance (preferably in the fintech & digital assets industry) is strongly preferred, but exceptions can be made for people with an exceptional track record in compliance.
- Project management skills, commercial acumen and a strong analytical mindset are essential.
- Experience with international taxation will be a plus.
- Experience with internal control will be a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. However, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position. First Digital Trust reserves the right to amend this job description at any time.