Five - “Driving Autonomy”
Five is a European technology leader in the field of automated driving systems and is joining forces with Bosch, the world’s largest component vendor to the automotive industry, making us together by far Europe’s largest development team for SAE Level 4 automation. Integrating technology and automotive talent in a combined team is the winning formula for building safe, green and accessible autonomous transportation for the world and at Five you’ll have unprecedented access to data, sensors, safety systems and a multitude of other assets needed to build the world’s leading systems.
At Five, we’re creating a platform for autonomous vehicle development and safety assurance. Our platform will empower the industry to build automated driving systems that are safer, smarter, faster and scalable. We're doing this by applying insights learned from solving some of the most challenging problems in this space.
We’re engineers, scientists, developers, and designers. We’re problem-solvers, dreamers, pioneers, innovators, creatives and pragmatists. We’re new hands and accomplished pros. We’re hard-working people, solving far-reaching challenges.
About the Team
The Simulation group develops the Scenario Editor and Scenario Runtime. The Scenario Editor allows a customer to create complex driving scenarios by manipulating paths and vehicles in a 3D rendered world and allows users to parameterize these to fully explore the scenario space. The Scenario Runtime then plays out those scenarios, controlling the traffic in the world, and interfacing with the system under test. Both are developed using the Unity3D game engine.
This role is for the Scenario Editor team, focusing on making the scenario creation experience as intuitive and robust as possible to allow our users to efficiently create a large range of scenarios. There is close integration with the runtime team to ensure the designed scenario comes to life in a way the user expects when interfacing with the self-driving software being tested.
There are lots of technical challenges the team faces that you’ll be helping to solve, from the rendering of realistic environments to procedural generation of terrain to visual debugging tools to help our users create and understand complex scenarios.
What you will do
As a Software Engineer in our highly technical Scenario Editor team you will be helping us to build out and enhance our simulation platform. You will work closely with our designers and product owners to deliver features either alone or working with other members of the team. You’ll investigate and solve issues and bugs, providing code reviews for other team members and you'll work collaboratively with other teams across the company to coordinate development efforts and best practices.
As a bonus, you may also bring to the table experience with other simulation platforms, either as a user or a developer; experience in automotive simulation platforms would be particularly valuable. As would experience with build and deployment systems, e.g. CI/CD, Docker, AWS, etc.
- A foundation of commercial experience as a software engineer.
- You have a track record building software applications using C#.
- You are comfortable working on a large code base.
- You’ll be happy to recommend and openly discuss improvements and technical choices.
- You’ve got a desire to work on challenging problems within software applications, from broad feature designs to debugging complex issues.
- You have a good understanding of Agile development practices and ceremonies.
- You are familiar with the full development life-cycle and software engineering best practices, including architecture, design, code, unit testing, integration testing, code review, and documentation.
- Experience developing 3D applications, particularly using Unity3D.
- You have experience working with CI/CD (we use GitLab).
- Experience with existing simulation software, particularly within the automotive industry.
- Experience with cloud infrastructure, e.g. k8s, Terraform, AWS, etc.
- Experience working with Python.
You will be joining a European leader in the autonomous driving system market where you can have a real impact in a smart, low-ego multi-cultural team. We provide an environment where you can develop your skills and deliver meaningful work that matters. You’ll be rewarded with a competitive salary and financial package, pension and private medical care.
FiveAI is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity through attracting and retaining a complementary team of employees and building an inclusive environment for all.
Help us to build the future of safer autonomy!