At Fonoa, we are transforming how digital-first companies stay tax compliant. We provide simple and modular API solutions that easily integrate into any existing workflow. Through our technology first approach, we reduce manual processes, increase compliance and reduce the cost of operations when transacting and scaling internationally.
We are solving one of the largest yet unsolved problems in global e-commerce. Our tax automation software enables companies such as Uber, Zoom, Lime, Booking.com, GoStudent, and Teachable to expand their international offerings more quickly and stay tax compliant.
As a Tax Manager (Research & Intelligence), your role will be to undertake tax research to ensure we’ve taken into account existing and new tax legislation, tax compliance and overall tax knowledge to optimise our current suite of tax technology products, ensuring we’re able to service and adapt to the needs of our customers. We are looking for someone with 6+ years of global VAT experience (LATAM, APAC, EMEA, Canada) to help lead the Research and Intelligence team. You will assist the Senior Tax Manager with process implementation and development of team members as we build the team from the ground up. You must enjoy technical VAT research, analyzing legislation, defining problems and experimenting to find ideal state solutions.
We’re on a mission to eliminate manual work when dealing with taxes on online transactions. Our software platform allows companies to get started and automate tax transactions within days. From determining the right tax status and the right tax treatment for any transaction, to reporting it in real-time in countries throughout the world. Using Fonoa makes it easier and faster for companies to scale across different markets by bringing down complexity and ensuring tax compliance.
This is an opportunity to really go deep into the subject of indirect taxes, our current logic and feed tax content and inputs into our existing product development process. You will have the chance to work closely with product managers, engineers, other tax peers and commercial teams.
What you will be doing:
- Work across teams and functions to design and build world-class indirect tax automation products ready for the digital future.
- Perform and review technical research to understand indirect tax requirements of a given country and how they impact Fonoa products (Real Time Invoice Reporting, Tax Number Validations, Data Sharing, Tax calculations and Tax Returns).
- Evaluate, maintain and build tax content for existing software and products offered by Fonoa to ensure our products and systems are meeting the highest tax technical and content standards.
- Document tax research and summarize findings in a clear and concise way that makes the information understandable to non-tax specialists.
- Process research and communicate content to a wide range of stakeholders (clients, project managers, tax product teams) in a way that is tailored to their specific needs.
- Develop processes to support marketing and sales teams with indirect tax content for prospective and existing clients.
- Streamline collaboration with product managers and engineers to optimize our products and ensure that they satisfy client needs and expectations.
- Suggest concrete actions stemming from research findings particularly if changes are required or if opportunities should be researched for additional product offerings.
- Assist in developing and executing processes to streamline information transfer from research to internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage junior team members and aid in delegating responsibilities across the team.
- Assist in technical skill development of junior team members.
- Be ready and eager to take on additional responsibilities early on.
You would be a great fit if you have:
- Have at least 6 years of experience in indirect tax with relevant tax qualifications
- Relevant tax education and global knowledge of current international Indirect tax (VAT/GST) laws and regulations (LATAM, Asia Pac, EMEA, Canada)
- Both public accounting / legal firm and industry experience
- Experience within a fast-growing international organization
- Are curious, like to understand how things work
- Like to solve problems, turning complex problems into simple solutions
- Are self-directed and capable to work autonomously
- Experience with indirect taxes as it relates to the distribution of digital services and physical products
- Passionate about technology and innovation
- Ability to research and communicate technical tax issues clearly to non-tax team members and work effectively across all functional teams
- Have full professional proficiency in English, written and spoken
- Fintech, marketplace and/or e-commerce experience is a big bonus
If you feel you don’t have the full experience we’re looking for but feel you could be a bit fit, are willing to learn, do apply anyway! We are trying to build a diverse and inclusive team.
We enable companies worldwide to seamlessly handle their taxes when transacting online by providing outstanding products that automate their workflows. To build exceptional products, we are aware that we need great people. We offer a competitive, above-market rate base salary for this position and remain open to a specific range depending on candidates' experience. Also, we provide attractive equity to keep everyone positively incentivized.
As a remote-first company, we have a distributed team in more than 35 countries worldwide. We're a company filled with talented, energetic, and motivated people from all backgrounds who bring in their different perspectives to help us on our mission to make taxes simple. Please find out how we live our values and what inspires us to do amazing things together: https://fonoa.co/LifeAtFonoa
Sounds interesting? Please learn more reasons why you should join us.