About FreemarketFX Limited
Freemarket is a specialist in cross-border payments and currency exchange. We work with businesses to accelerate growth by giving them access to cross-border payments and currency exchange optimised for their needs. Freemarket does this by blending its own technology, insights, experience and industry connections with the best technology and banking service infrastructures available.
The opportunity is to join a Technology team that is at the beginning of a very exciting journey to a micro services architecture as we look to build out our APIs, developer portal, enhance our UI/UX and re-engineer key business and operational journeys. Our business is growing fast and has established a successful suite of products in the market and we’re now significantly ramping up our technical capacity and expertise to take advantage of the significant commercial opportunities we have. To enable us to achieve our plans we are doubling the size of the Technology team in the next 9 months. Through a thoughtful hiring approach, we believe we can bring additional exceptional technical talent into Freemarket who will solve complex business and engineering problems and contribute to our excellent work culture ensuring it remains a fantastic place to work. Collaboration and passion are key to our continued success, your ability to work and create with others within Technology and across the business is just as vital as your technological achievements.
Note that previous experience in payments or financial services is not required
We work in a multi-skilled team working side-by-side with Developers, Business Analysts, Product Managers, and QA Engineers to ensure a consistently top-class product is delivered to our customers, in a way that is scalable within our business. We are at our best when the whole team is collaborating to deliver the best software we can.
- Be part of a development team providing back-end services and a RESTful API to support external clients and web applications
- Work closely with existing developers, using regular remote code pairing
- Develop within a microservice architecture and become co-owner of distinct portions of the system
- Share in the design of the back-end services, RESTful API, database schemas and web applications
- To help mentor fellow team members with new concepts and frameworks
- Share knowledge via architecture meetings and technical handovers to all members of the Engineering team
- You are delivery focused, take pride in the work you undertake, and want to support your changes all the way to production.
- You write clean, maintainable tests and frameworks that others can contribute to.
- You enjoy pairing with other developers as well as QAs
- You are happy setting priorities, and balancing the needs of development with the business
- You are enthusiastic and motivated by continual improvement
- You have great communication skills, and enjoy working with both on site and remote team members
Core Technical Skills
- Experience developing highly scalable, secure, and resilient applications in C#
- Experience in developing cloud-based applications
- Building HTTP and JSON APIs
- Developing with SQL Server, and ORMs
- TDD and/or Unit Testing
Desirable Technical Skills
- Good knowledge in C#, e.g., syntax and built-in methods
- Experience of .NET Core, EF Core and NServiceBus
- RESTful API design
- Domain Driven design
- Deployment tools & techniques
- Experience developing distributed systems, using queue-based messaging
- Experience developing high scale, transactional systems
- OAuth/OpenID experience
- Local development using Docker
- Commercial Azure development and configuration
Workflow / methodology
- Proactively monitor the performance of your applications, measuring throughput and monitoring error logs, following a DevOps culture.
- Semi – agile using both Scrum and Kanban methodologies where appropriate
- Daily stand-up
- Conduct spikes to research and validate technical approaches
- Working with business stakeholders to define requirements
- Experience with remote workers an advantage
- - Documenting design philosophy (architecture x360s, architectural decision records)
- - Documenting components and processes
- - Documenting API usage by creating sample apps and example payloads for API documentation