Gaia's mission begins with the world’s first IVF insurance product that predicts fertility outcomes and insures against the risk of failure, a major moment for modernising the family planning process. Underpinning our product is a proprietary predictive technology that adds a layer of certainty to an expensive, complicated, desperate, opaque but resolutely hopeful space.
We have raised $30million in funding to date, our A round at the end of 2021 was led by Atomico (read why here). We are FCA regulated, and trade on the Lloyd's of London market as a cover holder of Beazley.
As our first Head of Legal, you'll join our Leadership team, reporting directly to our CEO.
Gaia operates in a highly regulated environment and covers a very sensitive area. We always put the interest of our customers first. To that end, we’re investing in internalising legal counsel from the onset, allowing us to build a strong legal and regulatory foundation early on, and ensure that our customers receive the safest and fairest product.
You'll have the opportunity to grow and build an international and multi-product general counsel team as the company expands, working closely with the different teams: product, insurance, credit, operations and finance, and reporting to the COO.
This role will be a hands-on leadership position - initially setting up foundations and scaling the team as we grow.
- Building the foundation of the consumer finance and insurance functions (currently an MGA)
- Leading the various regulatory applications with the FCA and PRA
- Planning, drafting and implementing policies across Gaia
- Liaising with specialist external counsel and distilling and coordinating advice to leadership and the team where necessary
- Handling all manner of contracts, employment, commercial agreements, privacy/T&C
- Setting up the compliance function
- You’re a creative, solution oriented, rigorous person driven to make a real impact on people’s life
- You have a hands-on attitude and solution seeking mindset
- You have excellent judgement and business pragmatism
- You can communicate clearly and work well in a team
- A minimum of 4-6 years post qualification experience
- You've gained experience at a reputable law firm
- You have experience in a fintech (experience in insurtech is a plus)
- Expertise in FCA regulatory applications
- Previous management experience is preferred but not required
Please note, you must be legally authorised to work in the UK, we’re unable to offer visa sponsorship for this position.