Garden's mission is to keep developers productive and happy in the cloud-native era.
Docker, Kubernetes and other cloud-native technologies have made us better than ever at operating our systems in production, but the day-to-day development experience has been left lagging behind.
Developers spend less time in flow, and more time waiting for builds, debugging scripts, or otherwise fighting their tools. We're here to fix that.
Our platform—which includes our open source core product—allows developers to work on distributed systems in remote, production-like dev environments while enjoying the same fast and frictionless feedback loops we've come to expect when developing a single service locally.
It's a platform that democratizes the kind of advanced developer tooling that only the largest software companies have the resources to build and maintain.
We're still a small team and you'd be joining at a time where you can have a huge impact on our product and our culture. If you've ever thought to yourself that something's not right with our modern development workflows, now's your chance to help fix it!
What you'll do
Instead of listing requirements (X years of Y), we prefer describing the actual work and roadmap. If this sounds like the type of thing you’d be interested in, we highly encourage you to apply.
As one of two senior frontend engineers, you’ll be responsible for delivering an exceptional user experience to developers working on cloud native apps. Think log streams, network traces, test results, and other information that's streamed in real time.
In particular, this is what awaits you…
- You’ll get to know and work with a team of passionate engineers who are on a mission to fix how cloud native software is developed.
- You’ll use React and TypeScript + libraries and technologies for the modern webstack (e.g. Emotion, React Query, esbuild, websockets) to build features used by developers around the world. Yourself included—we’re big believers in dogfooding.
- You’ll work on our Cloud product, that’s the web UI that compliments our CLI, building features like log viewers, graph visualizations that update in real time, and more.
- You’ll get familiar with the latest cloud native technologies (containers, Kubernetes, et al). No prior knowledge is expected but you’ll be naturally exposed to these through your work at Garden.
- You’ll work with the team in building out our analytics functionality which will display various data from our users’ stacks to provide insights into build performance, test flakiness, bottlenecks, and more.
- You’ll work closely with Haukur, our other senior frontend engineer, and Claus our product designer. Together you will design and future proof our frontend architecture and make Garden an industry leader in terms of UI/UX.
We're a small team that tries to keep things simple and lean—and that applies to our interview process as well.
The first step is a 30-minute intro call with Eythor, our CTO and Ines, our Senior Engineering Manager. The goal is to give both parties a chance to get to know one another, ask questions, discuss the role and culture at Garden and to talk about salary and availability.
After that you’ll have a 60-minute technical interview with Haukur, Senior Frontend Engineer and one other engineer. There are no string reversal algorithms though. Instead, we anchor the conversation in things you've actually done in the past and dig deep into those.
The final step is a 60-minute presentation + Q&A where you present work you’ve done to the engineering team. This may be something you’ve done in the past or an assignment we design for you. We want everyone involved in the process, so this is also a chance for you to meet the rest of the team and vice versa.